Fuji Zeiss Touit vs. Fujinon XF

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Let's Touit? Or rather not? That's the question these days, isn't it? After testing the Touits 12mmF2.8 and 32mmF1.8 and directly comparing them to Fuji's 14mmF2.8 and 35mmF1.4 lenses, I have found the answer (at least as far as I'm concerned).

You can read all about in Monday's X-Pert Corner, of course, but if you don't want to wait, you can look at my samples right away with this practical Flickr Guest Pass.

I have also created two non-comparative sample sets, one for the Touit 32mmF1.8 and one for the Touit 12mmF2.8.

8982754699_331bde67a3_c.jpg

DSCF7301 - f/2.8 by ricopress, on Flickr

Thank you, very much. In the next few days I plan to buy either the 14 Fuji or 12 Zeiss to take on my vacation to next weekend. The image difference between the two seems so slight the smart buy is the 14 Fuji.

Yep, the 14mm appears to be sharper and doesn't need digital correction. And 12mm gets softer at f/8 and higher. it's best at f/4-5.6. Quite peculiar. OTOH, there is a real difference between the FOV of a 12mm and a 14mm.

Yep, the 14mm appears to be sharper and doesn't need digital correction. And 12mm gets softer at f/8 and higher. it's best at f/4-5.6. Quite peculiar. OTOH, there is a real difference between the FOV of a 12mm and a 14mm.

But, and this is the kicker for me, the 12mm does not have the Zeiss "pop" I expect out of their lenses.

I have the 14mm and am supremely happy with it. I can't imagine needing to go wider, at least until the Fuji 10mm zoom comes out. But I admit to wondering if I should give the 12mm a spin, just to see the IQ. I don't think I could do a better comparison than what you've shown. So, thanks for saving me the trouble.

On another note Rico, yesterday I had a talk with the Fuji rep for the NY area and mentioned a few thing you point out in your XP1 book. He'd never heard of your book, neither was he aware of the technique of changing the prism magnification at 55mm when using the 18-55mm zoom. You guys should talk more often.

It's funny, because now that you mention it, I have never received any kind of communication from Fujifilm North America. I frequently talk to executives and technical staff in Europe and Japan, though.

An American Fuji rep who hasn't even heard of the only English language book on the planet that is covering Fujifilm's top camera and their X-Mount system? Seriously?

Then again, changing the OVF manification is also covered in the owner's manual. It seems like the rep doesn't know the manual, either. ;) Oh, and the Fujiguys are also showing it in their official videos.

Back