Fuji Zeiss Loxia

dirk

Rookie
Those new Zeiss lenses look mighty fine... wonder if/when they will be released in X-Mount. Good manual glass would be awsome with an improved HVF on an X-Pro2 :)

Sure. But I don't see that stopping anybody. The aperture ring is just more Fuji than Sony, although also very handy for video. If the lens also communicates the actual distance it is focused on, it would work very well with a possible digital rangefinder mechanism in the X-Pro2.

Well, the aperture ring is classically Zeiss. And given that they're manual focus lenses, the aperture ring makes even more sense. As far as video, they apparently can be declicked, which is good; but that feature for video is more relevant to Sony cameras than the Fuji X-line. No one's going to be using any of the X-line cameras for serious video work. I just wouldn't expect the Loxia lenses to be made with an X-mount.

From Zeiss:
Updated: Zeiss Introduces Loxia Lenses for Sony Full Frame — Photographic Wanderings
Richard Schleuning, Senior Director, Americas for Zeiss’ Camera Lens Division:

“The goal with the new Loxia family was to develop a new lens line that can be used for both still photography and for video. We will not compete with the existing Sony/Zeiss branded AF lenses for the FE mount, since they are already well received for still photography. However, there are limitations to using an AF lens when focus pulling and in this regard, the Loxia lenses will provide better control. We’ve incorporated a manual iris on the lens (which is unique to E mount lenses) and the user has the option of ‘de-clicking’ the f/stop detents to allow for continuous aperture control.”

“We started with the 2/35 and 2/50 first, since these are the most popular focal lengths for video. The 35mm focal length is also the most popular among rangefinder shooters – especially street shooters, who we will target with this new lens line as well. Zone focusing will be a snap when using the focus and DOF scales on the lens – also unique to E mount lenses.”

“Of course, there are customers who will adapt their M mount lenses to use with the A7 series, but these do not offer any direct communication with the camera and have to be used 100% manually. The price of the Loxia lenses (which includes a lens shade) is less than the cost of a M mount lens + adapter + shade. So there is both convenience and a cost savings to the customer.”

“We’ll add to the family in the future with wide-angles and short telephotos. The challenge with these mirrorless cameras is designing an ultra wide angle lens that does not exhibit vignetting, lens shading and the ‘smearing’ effect common when using adapted wide-angle M mount lenses.”

We can see also that only first review came from a video blog, at cinema5d:
New ZEISS Loxia E-Mount lenses & first review

Alright, you have a point there. But it wouldn't suprise me either. I guess if they make them for x-mount, then only after the X-Pro2 is released and offers a very good manual focus assist in the OVF.

Back