Leica Zeiss Hologon 16/8 converted to Leica M mount

Raid

All-Pro
Since I am expecting to get back my Leica M9 soon with a new sensor, I decided it is best to focus on using this camera and not get another camera at this time. I was drawn to the Zeiss Hologon 16/8 since a while as it will open up a new type of photography for me. I am used to 50mm and 35mm lenses most of the time, and I want to get into wide angle photography with a specialized lens that has challenges and issues that must be dealt with. I found a "new old stock never used" boxed set in Canada, and I placed the order. Vefore placing the order, I had a quick email exchange with Don Goldberg about having him change the mount from Zeiss G to Leica M. It will hopefully become my "digital SWC", so to speak.

The Hologon has no real issues when used for B&W images, but with color, it may/will display a purple bandon the edges. A special ND filter is used to balance the exposure across the lens coverage. Don G asked me to also send him the filter for some reason. If I want less coverage, I can use the Hologon with my M8.

I am sure that the CV15mm is a wonderful lens based on what I have seen posted on it and the images that were taken with it. I am a "mini-collector" or maybe I am a photographer who also appreciates some fine lenses and cameras that I can afford to get and use. The CV is better suited for the M9 than the Hologon, but it is not a Hologon. I could use with an adapter my Canon FD 17/4 as it is a near rectilinear lens, butI want the challenge of using a Hologon. This is part of the joy of having such a hobby.

Hologon%204-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hologon%205-XL.jpg

Hologon%206-L.jpg

I have read about this adapter, but I trust DAG more than my own ability or lack of it to make such modifications. Don needs the ND filter to do some adjustments, and he will code the lens.

Back