Fuji Zeiss 32 vs Fuji 35

ranxoren

Regular
So I know there has been quite a few threads about this already but I wanted to ask the question again due to the current promotion on the Z32.
The price for these two lenses is now very close and I'm wondering if anyone handled both? I've used the XF35 extensively and think its a great lens but am curious about the Zeiss.
Thoughts?

Did more "post-discount" research and found the true wisdom of our own Gary:

I have both the 35mm and the 32mm. I see no difference in IQ between the two. I like the feel of the rubberized Zeiss. The hood doesn't bother me. I am keeping the Zeiss just because I prefer walking around with a lens badged Zeiss than a lens badged Fujinon. (Admittedly, I am shallow, but someone has to encourage Zeiss to continue making lenses for Fuji.)

Gary

All I needed to know :)
Sorry about the "useless" thread.

I don't have the 32mm but I do have the Zeiss 12mm and Fujinon 14mm side by side at the moment, and my experience is the same as Gary's take on the 32/35.

They're very similar in quality, build is a little different (more rubbery plastic for the Zeiss), and both are very good lenses. I wouldn't mind the slightly wider 32mm but the Fujinon is also f/1.4 instead of f/1.8 and in the samples I've seen I prefer the bokeh of the Fujinon anyway. Pretty much I don't think you'd go wrong with either - but conversely, I don't see much reason to jump for the Zeiss unless you just really want the wider FOV of the Touit lenses (which is why I have the 12mm right now, biding time until the 10-24 is out).

Just picked up the Zeiss for 60$ more than the Fuji. At that little of a difference I preferred the build and handling as well as corner sharpness.

And now a few hours later I'm having a serious case of buyers remorse for some unknown reason.
Only think that could explain it is the Fuji 23mm...
Thoughts from anyone that's used both the Zeiss 32 and XF23 (too new I know but you never know haha)?

Ps; I know the FL is different but I love both equally and am comfortable with both.

Since Zeiss has still to deliver their long promised July AF update and haven't even commited to ever support PDAF and LMO with firmware updates, there's no way I would buy a Touit lens for X-Mount at this time. I'd rather wait for them to finally take some action and commit to supporting these lenses.

Since Zeiss has still to deliver their long promised July AF update and haven't even commited to ever support PDAF and LMO with firmware updates, there's no way I would buy a Touit lens for X-Mount at this time. I'd rather wait for them to finally take some action and commit to supporting these lenses.

Did NOT know that! Thanks for the info. This lens is going back and I'll get the 23mm when available.
Thanks for the insight!!

The 14mm is great. If you find a deal on either I don't think you can lose, subject to Rico's caveat if you are going X-E2 or one of the later PDAF bodies. The 14mm is a workhorse for me and the quick auto/manual focus change is great especially if I'm shooting it on the "cheap body" (the X-M1) instead of my X-E1 -- which I've done a bit lately. I put the 35mm f/1.4 on the X-E1, and 14mm on the X-M1 and that's what I shoot. No lens changes needed. I just did a limited urbex run like that and liked it like that.

The 14mm is great. If you find a deal on either I don't think you can lose, subject to Rico's caveat if you are going X-E2 or one of the later PDAF bodies. The 14mm is a workhorse for me and the quick auto/manual focus change is great especially if I'm shooting it on the "cheap body" (the X-M1) instead of my X-E1 -- which I've done a bit lately. I put the 35mm f/1.4 on the X-E1, and 14mm on the X-M1 and that's what I shoot. No lens changes needed. I just did a limited urbex run like that and liked it like that.

I am moving from a X100 to a XF mount. Do you feel like you need more than the XF14mm and XF35mm?

When I was placing the order, I did give Zeiss a serious thought. With the reviews being similar, I went with the Fuji for the support, the guys at Fuji are making serious firmware updates frequently.

Fuji X100
Fuji X-E2 (on pre-order)
XF 14mm, XF 35mm

That would be nice, but when?

I have been waiting 5 months and still no June/July AF update. I asked Zeiss, of course, and the PR manager said they have no date. I asked about LMO/PDAF and he said that no decision has been made so far.

That would be nice, but when?

I have been waiting 5 months and still no June/July AF update. I asked Zeiss, of course, and the PR manager said they have no date. I asked about LMO/PDAF and he said that no decision has been made so far.

If I had that type of 'predictable' crystal ball, I'd be buying Lotto tickets and not be on this forum. Presently, only one, recently released camera could benefit from a Zeiss PDAF/LMO update. While, yes, it would be good to have that update now, I think it will be coming. It is hard to imagine Zeiss developing and marketing a single generation lens.

Gary

All cameras could benefit from an AF update that doesn't come, even though Zeiss promised it back in July.

Just to remain on topic, we were speaking of updates for PDAF/LMO, of which, only the new E-X2 is the only interchangeable lens X camera which has the physical hardware to execute this Type of AF. I do agree that any AF update is a positive step. But, on my XP1's, my experience with the AF speed between the 12mm-14mm and 32mm-35mm, is the difference isn't significant.

Gary

Back