You guys see the Kevin Ware injury?

Play Ball!!!! (in raspy umpire voice)

Batter up!

Oddly, I played high school football as a kid but never really played or even liked baseball then. Now I hate football (which doesn't mean I don't watch, but it's an addiction, not a pleasure) and I LOVE baseball. Everything about the game appeals to me - football not at all.

-Ray

Yesterday I netflicked Trouble With Curves, a Clint Eastwood baseball movie. Entertaining, but very predictable.

G

I've played a lot of ball, as an infant through HS ball, fast-pitch through my late 20's and 30's then slow-pitch in my 40's.

My most memorable sports-related injury came while playing baseball... about 23 years ago, I was playing 1B, batter hit the ball to SS, throw was high and into the runner. Runner slammed into me, knocking me unconscious... he was out, though, 'cause I held onto the ball. :D

I love baseball, it's the best "game". Baseball on the radio, a constant, uncomplaining companion.

My most memorable sports-related injury came while playing baseball... about 23 years ago, I was playing 1B, batter hit the ball to SS, throw was high and into the runner. Runner slammed into me, knocking me unconscious... he was out, though, 'cause I held onto the ball. :D

I love baseball, it's the best "game". Baseball on the radio, a constant, uncomplaining companion.

Yeah!! My type of 1B-man. (I played Second.) I never got hurt in baseball. I was undersized in football, so all I did was play hurt. Can't remember how many times I received a brain concussion, (actually I do but it sounds better to say "I can't remember..."). In fast-pitch my cousin, playing 'E-9', caught a foul ball and then in full stride slammed into the outfield light standard head-on. He didn't drop the ball either ... and ... he put a dent in the metal light standard. He ended up with a knot on his forehead about the same size as the ball in his glove. I toast both of you, Salud!

Gary

my best memory of a sports injury was a local pick-up baseball game. I was too little and not allowed to play, but I watched as my four older brothers played with the rest of the neighborhood. For some reason they were playing in the street despite there being a ball diamond about 3 blocks away. Anyways there was a long fly ball to right field towards my brother Mark, it was clearly over his head so he turned and started to run, he looked back over his shoulder to watch the ball and kept running, he reached up to catch the approaching ball and just as it reached his glove, his face reached the neighbor's mailbox.

He dropped the ball, it was a home run and Mark lost 3 teeth and nearly severed his tongue completely off. There were able to stitch it up, but he needed some major orthodontic work to put his teeth back where they belonged. When the boys arrived home and mom asked what happened as blood poured from her son's face, my other brother replied, "I'll tell you what happened, Mark dropped the ball and we lost the game". We all still laugh about that one some 35 years later.....Mark not as much as the rest.

That's a great story Luke. We could be such idiots when we were kids and single-minded in pursuit of something - usually a ball when we were younger and then a woman as we got older. Equally stupid, but seemingly a more worthwhile goal...

-Ray

That's a wonderful story. Of course, I'm a baseball fan as well. Someone sent me a link to a shot of the Ware injury, and stupidly I looked. It was a pretty good still shot and I actually had to look away. These days the surgery is good enough to fix it right.

Back