Fuji You can't buy talent, or fix stupid

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
Today I was shooting at a crossfit my friend was competing in. I was not an event photographer, just shooting from the spectator area. The building this event was held in had a tall ceiling, which was painted black, down to high point on the wall. I saw one of the two hired photographer/videographers, using what looked like a costly Nikon rig, trying to bounce a bare flash off of said ceiling. All of light from his speedlight was going up and disappearing. I was just shaking my head. This same guy also flew his drone into one of the hanging light fixtures. The drone was caught up in the light and cables which held it long enough to damage the drone. Again with my head shaking.

Depressing, innit? I used to work in London and walk past the Houses of Parliament each evening on my way home. In the winter months it was predictably dark. I used to shake my head at the tourists snapping away at the building from 100 feet or more away with their built-in flashes like little, tiny - and completely useless - stars...

:D

My mum is guilty of the flash thing from Bill's post!

In her defence it's because the camera is set to full auto (as for my mum there's no other way) and this sticks the flash on automatically for what ever reasons little compacts like to stick the flash on !!

RE Bobby's post

I think I'd have shaken my head clean off and I've seen many similar things!

You can't buy talent or fix stupid, but you can make an effort to learn, as trying harder and perseverance can greatly reduce the impact of a lack of talent and intelligence, well IMO anyway

What makes it worse for me is, that this one of the "hired guns" for the event. Which always makes me wonder how many events this person has done crap work at and taken money for?

No good me laughing. If I had an XP2 I can pretty much guarantee that I'd lower the camera from my face having taken a nicely composed shot through the ovf only to find I didn't take the lens cap off.

Back