News Yahoo Finance puts Olympus on a list of companies scheduled to disappear in 2014

reports of Olympus' demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I think they are making some good moves (albeit maybe a year or two later than they should have) by ceasing production of point and shoots. I was just reading an interview with an Olympus exec where he was talking about focusing on "niche products with a strong identity" like the Tough series as well as making more DSLRs. He said that the medical imaging division benefits from their work on the cameras so presumably, losing on one side of the business is really more of an R & D expense.

If they do disappear it will be because someone buys them, which isn't really the same thing as disappearing to fans of the brand since there would still likely be Olympus branded cameras being made.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I'm on the side of Luke and Thom Hogan, but it's out of my hands. My likely Olympus purchases between now and the end of 2014 are not likely to affect the outcome. Weren't they going to be dead a year and a half ago, before the award winning OM-D came out?

This is simply a republishing of a Wall Street Journal story. Frankly, I wouldn't give it a second thought - particularly given the accuracy of Wall Street predictions. Many of these same people thought General Motors would be gone by now as well. Conventional thinking at its worst.

I was thinking the same thing about GM. Also by the same people who never saw the crash coming and poo-pooed those who did. But predictions are cheap, and being wrong about them stops very few from making them.

Back