Fuji XF1 Arrived Today And...

It didn't look bad. But I find the Raw files very hit and miss. Some are truly awful and beyond help in Lightroom. My findings are the same as Ming Thein's in his review Review: The Fuji FinePix XF1 I have a pretty good understanding of Lightroom now after processing 4k or so in the past year!

Ming's comments. He was very positive about the XF1 in general.

I find the image quality of this camera paradoxical. On one hand, the JPEG output is amongst the best I’ve ever seen from a compact – especially when using the trick DR400 mode, which supposedly extends the camera’s tonal range by two stops – on the other hand, the RAW files are amongst the worst I’ve ever seen from any camera, and far below even its own JPEGs. The RAW files are far noisier, have poorer dynamic range, less detail and acuity, and just seem very dull by comparison; it’s akin to the difference between RAW and JPEG on other cameras, except in reverse. The only conclusionS I can come to are that Fuji has some extremely sophisticated processing algorithms inside this camera, the ACR converter algorithm just doesn’t work for this sensor, or both. It is widely known that ACR doesn’t really do a good job with Fuji files, but this difference almost defies belief.

Sadly, Mr. Thein is a good photographer, but a much less gifted reviewer with a very limited understanding of EXR technology. His comments on Lightroom (which appears to be the only RAW converter he knows, as he keeps ignoring the 8-10 other converters that can work with different Fujifilm camera models) are outdated, too, because Adobe has actually improved its EXR sensor support in the past year. I have personally posted plenty of RAW examples from EXR cameras like the X10 or X-S1, so the suggestion that Lightroom leads to unpleasant results it simply false. If it looks bad, it's because you don't know how to use Lightroom. I know it's popular to bash Adobe, but in this case, they actually did a decent job that includes full EXR DR support. Please note that neither Silkypix nor Capture One provide full EXR DR support.

I've been using RPP a lot recently. I have wonderful results with that and actually prefer it in many ways to Lightroom. I find Lightroom just as useful for its DAM features as the Develop module. I have noticed some oddness with XF1 RAF files in Lightroom. All the ones I posted yesterday looked fine however.

Sadly, Mr. Thein is a good photographer, but a much less gifted reviewer with a very limited understanding of EXR technology. His comments in Lightroom (which appears to be the only RAW converter he knows, as he keeps ignoring the 8-10 other converters that can work with different Fujifilm camera models) are outdated, too, because Adobe has actually improved its EXR sensor support in the past year. I have personally posted plenty of RAW examples from EXR cameras like the X10 or X-S1, so the suggestion that Lightroom leads to unpleasant results it simply false. If it looks bad, it's because you don't know how to use Lightroom. I know it's popular to bash Adobe, but in this case, they actually did a decent job that includes full EXR DR support. Please note that neither Silkypix nor Capture One provide full EXR DR support.

RPP is rather ill-equipped for dealing with EXR RAWs.

I am not aware of any oddnesses regarding LR/ACR and EXR RAW files.
I only use it to develop stuff. All my files are managed in Aperture.

AFAIK, LR/ACR is the only external converter that is actually capable of merging the two different half-frames in an EXR DR RAW.

Oh I don't use it for the XF1. Tried that and it was a horror show!

RPP is rather ill-equipped for dealing with EXR RAWs.

I am not aware of any oddnesses regarding LR/ACR and EXR RAW files.
I only use it to develop stuff. All my files are managed in Aperture.

AFAIK, LR/ACR is the only external converter that is actually capable of merging the two different half-frames in an EXR DR RAW.

Exactly as the name implies... It's gloopy black stuff that you paint on lamp-posts, etc. It dries to a rough finish BUT stays liquid underneath. If you try to climb, the dry crust breaks away and you end up on your arse covered in black stuff... Simples :D

Neat. Never seen that here. We just use barbed wire. :eek:

"Anti-Climb" paint?
This is new one for me - what does it do...come off on climbers?

Here are a few from today all shot in Raw (except the sign) and a quick conversion in Lightroom. The pics of my daughter are with face recognition on. If FR isn't switched on for scenes like this with lots of sky then I would get the usual 2 stop underexposed image. Disappointing but it is workable.

i-ftqSF9z-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Whoops - Just now saw this response...:redface:

Exactly as the name implies... It's gloopy black stuff that you paint on lamp-posts, etc. It dries to a rough finish BUT stays liquid underneath. If you try to climb, the dry crust breaks away and you end up on your arse covered in black stuff... Simples :D

Sent from another Galaxy

I have used - and continue to use - Leica Elmars and Elmar-Ms for years. These are 5cm/50mm collapsible lenses that have to be uncapped, pulled out and twisted a quarter turn to lock before you can focus and take a picture. The X10/20 and XF action comes naturally to me. The secret is to do it by feel as - or before - you raise the camera to your eye.

Sent from another Galaxy

I don't understand what people don't like about it ...baffles me totally

I didn't like the feeling or controls of the RX100ii. I may be one of the only folks who felt this, however that was my reaction as soon as I opened up the box. I have succumbed to the feeding frenzy here at this great price on Amazon. My basic black 007 FujiXF1 is en route thanks to Luke's affiliate link, and I promise to report back on my own take. I'll know pretty quickly if I think I made the right decision, for me. Fingers crossed!

I'm not sure what Rico/flysurfer would think of this review, however I found it quite helpful: Fujifilm XF1 Review Perhaps some of you will, too.

no you're not the only one. I handled one in a store and hated it with a pasison instantly

Sent from another Galaxy

Clever stuff, but I wonder which pencil-pusher decided it was appropriate for a fence around children's play equipment and that a sign would deter the average four year old from attempting to climb it.

The back story - A musical theater major, our son is home for fall break from college and will soon be on stage in a version of the musical "Pippin" Apparently in his pre-audition bio he made mention that he could play the ukulele. 'Guess the director actually read the bios. :rolleyes:
XF-1, ISO200, from a JPEG file, processed in LR5 and Silver Efex Pro 2.
. . . David

**** me that's a cracking photo !!!! and B & W defo a million times better than colour.

I should not have clicked on this thread coz I want a fuji soooo bad right now and the XF-1 is on the list..but I have too many cameras already.

have put my pentax Q up for sale to fund an XF-1 ...anyone in the UK wanna buy a pentax Q twin lens kit - hardly used ??

I guess Fovens aren't the only sensors that get red right. I haven't fooled around with pro-focus mode, but I'll look forward to doing so.

The pro low light works well, however, as it did on my X-10 At 3200 from a small sensor shooter, this isn't bad.
LR%20full%20size%207175-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It answers the question of whether I can live with the f4.9 at the long end, and the answer is yes. My daily "on my hip" camera has become the DP2S (and will someday be a Merrill, I hope), so the XF1, as a truly pocketable camera, will be nice to have. Composing on the LCD will never seem entirely natural to me (I bought an eye level finder for my Hasselblad in order to avoid the waist level compose at a distance phenomenon), but it's doable. I haven't had to use the bright sun mode outside yet, but it is so bright that I cannot imagine that it will not do the job if I ever need it.

I short, I like the camera.

that is at ISO 3200 ??? really ??? that is stunning

You guys are making my life hell with all these beautiful images. I'm in the process of researching a compact to go with my Pany G3 as my primary vacation and trip camera. So far I'm looking at the Pany Lx7, the LF1, The Fuji X10, but these photos and the price are making me twitchy. Having never used (or even held) a Fuji I'm just curious on the operating system. Is there a big learning curve coming from a Panasonic (I also have an EPL2 but it is too "fiddly" for a vacation camera). Any help here guys?

it's a very easy/logical menu system - and quick to navigate through - one of the things I loved about it when I played with it this morning

I think i'm concerned i'll regret not going for a Micro 4/3rd or interchangeable lens camera

You mean, versus having bought the XF1?

For $199, the XF1 is a bargain. I love my ... I mean .. my wife's XF1. For a point and shoot, it's pretty good, especially if you don't mind 6 mp files. It does take good photos even in low light. Not good for moving subjects, but I can't think of any point and shoot that is good for low light moving subjects. Even most m4/3 cameras will have difficulty with low light moving subjects.

In any event, for $199, it'd be difficult to get a m4/3 camera. However, if you expand your budget to $400, you can probably find a new Panasonic GX1 around that price.

I bought the GX-1 and really wish I hadn't it gives some nice enough pics but I hate the handling, the markings on the four way controller are invisible so you've no idea what button does what, the "kit" zoom feels so poor quality (mechanically) - it's dire..and I just feel m43 is a pointless format. Oh and lenses are stupid money in that format - if I'd have researched that I would never have dipped my toes in M43.

Back