Fuji XF 1 going back.

ChrisJones

My XF 1 is going back to the store I bought it from for a refund. A number of reasons prompted this, after a week of ownership, I found that it just wasn't for me.

The IQ although very good, wasn't that much better than my F800 exr, I kept hitting the video record button in error (it's right where my thumb likes to rest!).

So now the search begins again ( much to Mrs Jones's disappointment ).

My thoughts are, & comments would be most welcome.

Either stick with Fuji & go X20, change to one of the following, Pentax MX, Sony RX 100, Canon G15, Nikon P7700 or Panasonic LX ?

Here's my quandary , do I also look at CSC cameras? Great deals on the Fuji XA1/XM1 or even look at a Fuji HS 30

My ideal is to have a partner to the F800 that has better low light capability, closer macro.

Hugh sigh:confused: any thoughts or comment would be most appreciated!

I didn't even notice my XF1 has a video button! I never use video on any of my cameras, so I never notice that button unless I assign another function to it.

For low light capabilities, might as well go with a m4/3. Any m4/3 cameras will also have better low light capabilities than all the point and shoots that you mentioned, especially with the right type of lens. Or a NEX or Fuji X will be even better. How important is portability/size?

I agree from what I have seen so far that IQ on the XF1 isn't leaps & bounds better than the F660

when I replace the 660 what I need will be better image stabilisation (a key factor) as well as a viewfinder

all the compacts you mention have roughly the same quality of output, except for the RX100 which is leaps and bounds better. It is nearly the quality of a decent m43 kit. I would suggest either the Sony or any m43 kit....they're all good, just build one within your budget. And even the ones from a couple years ago are big steps better than all the small sensor compacts. The latest generations are just a step better than the old ones.

all the compacts you mention have roughly the same quality of output, except for the RX100 which is leaps and bounds better. It is nearly the quality of a decent m43 kit. I would suggest either the Sony or any m43 kit....they're all good, just build one within your budget. And even the ones from a couple years ago are big steps better than all the small sensor compacts. The latest generations are just a step better than the old ones.

I agree with Luke.

RX100 if you want this to be your camera for the foreseeable future, with no additional investment required.

m4/3s with kit lens now and maybe a prime or tele zoom (or both) later if you want to spend more money over time to develop a more capable system camera.

Chris, what are original RX100's going for in the UK these days - compared with the brand-new RX100 II? I'm talking about buying new. In the U.S., the price difference between the two cameras is about $150. If the difference is that much or more in the U.K., it's worth sticking with the original model, which still has great chops.

As others have said, the beauty of the RX100 is its size and image quality - and the fact that once you buy it, you're done. No other accessories, other than maybe an extra battery, are needed. On the other hand, you could shop around for a deal on a micro four-thirds camera like the Panasonic G5, GX1 or GF6, which one can find close-out sales on (for less than the RX100) here in the states. But you may want to add a telephoto zoom or fast prime lens later.

Random thought here. If you are considering an MX1, then also consider the Q7. It's a bigger sensor and can change lenses. Not pocket flat (but neither is the X20) but still very small, especially with the 8.5 prime.

The nice thing about the NEX5 series is that you can add an EVF if you eventually want it. Also, with all NEX's you have the option of adding the very good Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes in E-mount at a friendly price.

NEX is probably the most bang for the buck for the mirrorless cameras. The 3s and 5s are dirt cheap, but provide image quality that is similar to the 6, and the Sony's are better than the m4/3's at high ISO. The multi shot noise reduction in the Sony's make even ISO 12800 usable.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

If you want another compact that goes into your pocket, go for the Sony RX100.
If your not fussed about the compactness, then the choice is a difficult one (M43, NEX, Fuji-X, etc).
I'm biased towards Fujifilm cameras, so I'd recommend the X-M1.
If you want a GX1 and 14-42mm power zoom (with view finder), I could sell you mine (I need to sell some gear after buying a Sony A7!).

Back