Fuji X100 vs. Contax T3 ?

Fujironimo

Hello
Has anybody used a Contax T3 before the X100 ?

It sounds like a weird question, since the only common point between both cameras is the fact that they are both high-end clear finder compact cameras. But the Contax T3 is the only AF camera that I know well (I otherwise use a MF film camera), and given what I read here and there, I would like to know whether the AF system of the X100, and reactivity, is at least as good as (or, if you prefer, not worse than) the T3.

Indeed the T3 is the one I choose when I want to be light, and the X100 could be a nice digital replacement.

Thanks.

First off, welcome to SC.
The T3 is a nice compact FILM camera. The X100 is digital.
Cost aside, film aside, the X100 is far better and also more expensive.
You should decide if you want to be in film or digital before comparing cameras.
Don

Thanks for your post but I'm not comparing these two cameras in a general sense. I own and uses a T3 since 10 years or so and it's the only autofocus camera that I ever used.

I am wondering whether the autofocus system of the X100 (which has mixed feedback on forums) is similar to the T3, better or worse. Both are passive AF technology by the way.

My opinion is the X100 is a little faster but more accurate.
It's still apples to oranges due to the finder in both cameras.
The X100 in MF is a dream. Just hit the AF button and your focused. Then if you want, you can adjust by lens ring. Many complain about the lens ring focusing. I dont, I take my time anyway. It works fine for me.
Setting Hyper Focal is a cinch also.
2 different cameras all together, each with it's own merits but I choose digital.

Fujironimo,

I have both cameras. They have similarities, as you can imagine. Both have terrific fixed lenses...I don't see a quality difference between the Sonnar and the Fujinon.

The X100 can operate as quietly as the T3, which is really quiet.

If you consider them the same from a shooting standpoint, I'd offer this...the X100 has a much bigger, brighter finder (which can have more information available to you). The T3 is much more compact. I think metering is equally impressive.

I've had a bit of trouble with the X100 slow-focusing in low light, but I can't complain...the T3 would be absolutely useless in light low-enough to make the Fuji struggle.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back