Fuji x100 silent fw update

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for this - I tried what you suggested, no problem downloading but when I try and drag DAT file to desktop from downloads it will not save, like wise I cannot right click Save To (no option).
I cannot even drag from downloads direct to SD card so well and truly stumped!!!
I suspect I will have to resort to taking kit to work and using PC to download

Try this. In finder right click on the .dat file and choose copy, move cursor to the SD card in finder and right click now choose paste.

It is supposed to fix the twilight zone moment when the camera seems to freeze for no reason, TH af improvement was supposed to be update 1.12, so if you had stopedd at 1.11 then this would also give you the improved af

And after reading yours, and Ray's remarks, I decided to go ahead last night and indeed, AF is markedly improved in low light. One might even say it was quite speedy. Thanks, guys!

Back to the X100 firmware update for a sec: if I have an X100 that's never been updated, can I go straight to the latest firmware version? It would seem that would be the case, but I just want to make sure that I don't have to add all the updates in sequence... Surely the latest firmware replaces whatever was there before....? Thanks.

Yeah Chuck, you can update from whatever version you have. Just make sure you know what your settings are before you do it, or at least those that are important to you. The firmware update takes you back to resetting the date and time and a whole new set of default settings.

-Ray

Yes you can Chuck. Or so I've been told. I don't think they provide access to older updates anyway. So the newest update should include all the stuff in the past versions.

I've managed to do a firmware upgrade on the X100 before but can't seem to do it again for this one! I downloaded the file FPUPDATE-ID AT but if I try to open it I get the "Safari can't find an app to do this" and if I try to put it directly onto the SD card inserted into my iMac, when I put it in the camera it says update not found turn off camera. Am I missing a step somewhere, I didn't have to use the Fuji Viewer thing last time.

I've managed to do a firmware upgrade on the X100 before but can't seem to do it again for this one! I downloaded the file FPUPDATE-ID AT but if I try to open it I get the "Safari can't find an app to do this" and if I try to put it directly onto the SD card inserted into my iMac, when I put it in the camera it says update not found turn off camera. Am I missing a step somewhere, I didn't have to use the Fuji Viewer thing last time.

I'm a Mac user. What is happening is that when you download the FPUPDATE.DAT you need to do it to a folder that doesn't already have a previous copy or it will be renamed to FPUPDATE-1.DAT. This sounds like what is happening to you so on the SD card rename the file to FPUPDATE.DAT and try the upgrade again.

This is my method courtesy of Ray - I was doing the X10 first:
Its exactly the same as the X100, which I found immensely easy. I think you're psyching yourself into making it harder than it is.

1. Download the firmware upgrade (fpupdate.dat).

2. Format your SD card

3. Make sure your battery is charged

4. Copy the file you downloaded onto your SD card (root directory, but that's the only directory their is right after you format it, so just drag the file onto the card)

5. Put the card into the camera.

6. Hold down the DISP/BACK button while you turn on the camera.

7. Follow the prompts on the camera screen.

I'm glad you were able to do it, Christina, thanks to Malcolm's method!:2thumbs:

This works brilliantly BB, (thanks Ray), I wish all updates were so easily done! I got my files muddled because I downloaded it a few times as the file size didn't quite agree with what they said it should.

has anyone had trouble with reducing the size of the focus box in manual mode? When I press on the command control left or right while holding down the AF button in MF mode the size will not change. It worked before now im getting worried...

I can't do it either. I'm not sure if I could or not before - I don't recall ever trying. But definitely not now. I clearly can in AFS, but not MF. I tend to use the OVF with this camera the vast majority of the time and the focus box never changes in the OVF regardless, so I change it in the EVF and LCD for those rare situations where I'm using them, but never noticed if it changed in MF.

-Ray

has anyone had trouble with reducing the size of the focus box in manual mode? When I press on the command control left or right while holding down the AF button in MF mode the size will not change. It worked before now im getting worried...

The size of the focus box IS NOT configurable in MF mode. But I'm 95% sure that it never was.

Back