Fuji X100 Firmware ver 1.20 is out

I complained to Fuji JP through their main site, and pointed them to this and fujix forums...
I'm aware there are people saying it's ok, but can't think so many people including myself have gone nuts... :)

Much appreciated to all who've been posting. I'm sorry for your manual focussing folks. I don't do that...but I still haven't updated my firmware from the second version. I will, but perhaps I'll wait a bit longer. I'm strictly an AF kind of eyesighted person.

I don't use MF for anything other than zone focus, so I haven't had the issue with the AFL button. But I use AF a lot and I don't see anything but improvement with AF. Quicker and no less accurate. That doesn't mean you can't miss AF, particularly with the OVF and it's large focus box and the potential for parallax if yore not aware of how it works. But I've only seen AF get better with firmware updates. I'm using 1.20 and not going back.

-Ray

:)
Well, "we" are not saying the camera is unusable. FW 1.2 has undoubtedly got a bug (box position freezing the camera), and that is perhaps the reason for the unpredictable results in MF+AFL.
I think a 1.21 will come very soon.
For those focusing only or mainly with AF, it appears it's got better. I've seen a youtube test video looking very promising, but must say that someone is finding some little quirks in AF too (not so many people to get alarmed, and less than people saying everything is ok...).
BBW, if you have waited till now, write down your settings and wait a bit more, cause 1.21 is coming soon anyway! ;)

Well, "we" are not saying the camera is unusable. FW 1.2 has undoubtedly got a bug (box position freezing the camera), and that is perhaps the reason for the unpredictable results in MF+AFL.
I think a 1.21 will come very soon.
For those focusing only or mainly with AF, it appears it's got better. I've seen a youtube test video looking very promising, but must say that someone is finding some little quirks in AF too (not so many people to get alarmed, and less than people saying everything is ok...).
BBW, if you have waited till now, write down your settings and wait a bit more, cause 1.21 is coming soon anyway! ;)

AF in low light is now better by countrymiles. Even in very low light it's locking focus surprisingly quick wihtout hunting and it's probably the best low light AF I have ever experienced with any compact large sensor camera. I can't say whether it's faster in good light, maybe a tad? But good light AF was not really and issue before. Close up focus is much much better as well with need to switch to macro only if going closer than about 12-13 inches. And making the ND filter available at ones fingertip by being able to assign the on/off function to one of the programmable buttons is a fantastic feature for outdoor shooting. MF+AFL shows the bugs you describe but workarounds are possible once one is aware of the shortcoming. So all in all, four steps forward and one back with the new FW, i.e. definitely going into the right direction. Good job Fuji!

Well, "we" are not saying the camera is unusable..........

I wasn't suggesting anyone was unreasonable in not upgrading. If you rely on the AFL button to focus in MF mode you clearly shouldn't. But if you don't, I haven't found a downside with normal half-press AF yet. I hope they do fix it. I even still wish they'd fix the auto ISO thing all the way as well, but I've about given up on that and am OK with the current setup.

-Ray

I have the new F/ware and did some ad hoc testing today. I found the AF to be working well and the macro mode focussing nice and close.

The MF using the AFL button worked but was noticeably slower to lock on. I'll stay with FW1.2.

The speedier AF in low light sounds impressive enough that I may have to leave my comfort zone and download the new firmware. I'm not happy about having to re-learn the way I use the camera, but it is what it is. I guess I can always go back.

The speedier AF in low light sounds impressive enough that I may have to leave my comfort zone and download the new firmware. I'm not happy about having to re-learn the way I use the camera, but it is what it is. I guess I can always go back.

There's nothing to re-learn! Yes you can revert FW to the previous one. Write down your settings and, after updating: format the card, take a shot, change number to the file to reflect your last one (or copy your last image file, to go on with the counter).

Remember, they will fix the issue soon, so a second update is due very soon.
Don't make the effort to learn to focus lower-right in MF+AFL. That is the bug...

There's nothing to re-learn! Yes you can revert FW to the previous one. Write down your settings and, after updating: format the card, take a shot, change number to the file to reflect your last one (or copy your last image file, to go on with the counter).

Remember, they will fix the issue soon, so a second update is due very soon.
Don't make the effort to learn to focus lower-right in MF+AFL. That is the bug...

The way I learned to use the camera was in manual with the AFL button to focus...so I do have to relearn to use it. But it's ot like learning a new language. I'm sure after a day or two I'll get used to it. And maybe a new firmware will come, but frankly new firmware are a hassle too. I have to go through all the menus and reset everything. The ability to save the settings to a card would be nice.

... And maybe a new firmware will come, but frankly new firmware are a hassle too. I have to go through all the menus and reset everything. The ability to save the settings to a card would be nice.
Yep, it would be nice... But then, if it bothers you, that's a good reason to wait: the next fixed FW will have MF+AFL working as before, if not better. I could bet they will be fast to release it. They have to show a quick and effective support, now that there's the X-Pro hitting the shelves. X100 buyers are a fundamental part of their target, and there's discontent around for the introduced bugs...

Well, I've loaded up the new firmware. Seems to be working great for me.....even the AFL button trick seems to working in manual mode (at least as often as it did before.... it depends on the lighting, but that's always the way it has been for me).

I can even get it to occasionally grab focus in AF-S mode from around a foot away....something I definitely couldn't do before without putting it in macro mode. The camera seems much speedier in general.

I don't use MF for anything other than zone focus, so I haven't had the issue with the AFL button. But I use AF a lot and I don't see anything but improvement with AF. Quicker and no less accurate. That doesn't mean you can't miss AF, particularly with the OVF and it's large focus box and the potential for parallax if yore not aware of how it works. But I've only seen AF get better with firmware updates. I'm using 1.20 and not going back.

-Ray

Thanks, Ray, took some more (unpostable) shots today and find that indeed, I simply missed on the focus on Monday. All good and I won't bother downgrading. I periodically have tried manual focus but I guess I am way to used to the size of the lenses and focus rings on my DSLR... so I'll stick with AF unless absolutely essential (and I can't see a time when I wont choose to use a different camera if it came to that).

Out of curiosity, I reinstalled 1.2 FW. I agree with the following:
- AF feels faster
- AF can lock where it didn't (I have my "test locations", I'm sure it's changed a lot)
- MF+AFL focuses in the lower right angle of the box (bug)
- AEL/AFL lock in AFS mode doesn't retain focus whenever you change from LCD to OVF and reverse (bug? I have just verified that in 1.13 it retains focus instead)
- AF feels faster and can lock where it didn't (ok, already in the list but it's getting better and better...) :)

Am I missing anything?
Oh, yes: AFL button doesn't allow AF decoupling from the shutter button. It persists in not doing it. Hell... ;-)

[edit, sorry]
The MF focusing area bug causing the camera to freeze should indeed be the same bug of the decentered box. They have probably messed up some coordinates, so, if you move the box right-down, the camera looks out of the sensor area to find focus...

Back