Fuji X100 Firmware ver 1.20 is out

I was in the process of downloading the update when I saw the threads about erratic focus performance. I'm very reluctant to upgrade now as I shoot at least half the time using MF/AFL. I use it instead of Macro mode, which seems fiddly to me.
The other thing I've seen mentioned lis that you can focus a lot closer before you have to switch to macro mode now - I haven't tried it specifically to check but I've seen a number of mentions of this. It seems like a number of people were using MF with the AFL button to overcome other shortcomings that may not be there anymore. Which is no reason that this capability shouldn't still be there, but it may be a lot less necessary now.

-Ray

I figured that if Fuji had messed up the AFL function, people would make enough noise for them to fix it in a future FW version, so I updated the camera.

I'm very pleased! AF is faster and more accurate, and the AFL function locks on faster! I just took several photos in very low light conditions and it has performed very well. It lost focus about as much as it would have before the firmware update, and was faster to lock on in the times that it worked. I think it may have even locked on a bit more often than before. And I am definitely getting accurate macro focus down to about 10cm. Great work, Fuji!

It is kind of odd that they would still not put Auto ISO in the same menu as the ISO values, though. Would have been a very good touch!

I'd say 30cm (more or less) in AFS. Don't know before 1.2 update.

I think originally it was stated as about 80cm but was somewhat less in practice. I'm not sure which firmware update started improving that, but its definitely a lot lower than that now..

I just did a quick and dirty test. If it's focussed at a long distance and then I try to focus on something close, it still needs about 40-50 cm or so to lock on. But once I've locked on at 40 or so, I can move incrementally closer down to within 20 cm before it won't lock focus. And then once it loses it, I have to back out to about 40 before it will lock on again. And when I lock on at 40, it takes a few smaller steps to get down to about 20. If I just focus at 40 and then next try at 20, it won't focus, but if I have a couple of intermediate steps, it'll keep focussing down to about 20. In any case its a lot better than it was. I don't tend to use this camera at extremely close quarters anyway and when I do, I'm happy enough to jump into macro mode - just two left button pushes and a half press to get in, and the same to get back out.

-Ray

Armanius, no. all my settings in 1.13 are now there in 1.20. I am awaiting further advice from Fuji UK on this. Took some manual focus shots in OVF and they came out a mix of sharp and blurred. so an inconsistency there. although the camera beeps, telling you you have focus' when you see the shot, you dont. i shall keep you posted.

Luke, keep 1.13 for the time being.

That bites ... Thanks for the heads up. On the other hand, I've had my share of fake focus confirmations with the X100. People complain about the X100's AF speed. My biggest beef nowadays is the occasional fake focus confirmation. Haven't updated the FW yet ...

Another nice surprise is that the camera writes videos to the card much faster. Before it would take several seconds, now it is only a few moments.

I can also confirm that minimum focusing distance in normal mode is also much closer. I used to have to switch to Macro or MF to shoot something 30cm away. Now I can do it in normal AF-C mode.

I hope they can add these kinds of improvements to the X10 as well. This shows a lot of good things about Fuji and their commitment to keeping us happy.

I just did a quick and dirty test. If it's focussed at a long distance and then I try to focus on something close, it still needs about 40-50 cm or so to lock on. But once I've locked on at 40 or so, I can move incrementally closer down to within 20 cm before it won't lock focus. And then once it loses it, I have to back out to about 40 before it will lock on again [snip]
-Ray
Yep, that's my finding too.

I'm back to 1.13. MF+AFL is working OK. Didn't use it so much, so the only way to know for sure was to revert to old FW.
I will not update until a new version comes from Fuji. It will come, the MF+AFL is seriusly flawed in 1.2 FW. Believe it or not.

I'm back to 1.13. MF+AFL is working OK. Didn't use it so much, so the only way to know for sure was to revert to old FW.
I will not update until a new version comes from Fuji. It will come, the MF+AFL is seriusly flawed in 1.2 FW. Believe it or not.
I'd like to know. My manual focus seems to be off now. I like what they did with the raw button, but I use mf for about half of my shooting as it seemed to be pretty reliable. With the update, mine seems to struggle finding focus now. It does seem that af has improved, but, for me, it's not worth the trade off. Any help on going back? Thanks, Kris

Kris, I haven't tried it, but I assume you just repeat the same process with the older version of the firmware. If you didn't save it, let me know. I think I did, and can email it to you.

Kris, I haven't tried it, but I assume you just repeat the same process with the older version of the firmware. If you didn't save it, let me know. I think I did, and can email it to you.
Thanks Armanius.
When I get back to my Mac, I'll look for it. I cleaned out my finder downloads yesterday, but it's probably still in the trash. If not, I'll let you know. Thanks again, Kris

Someone else found a real bug (meaning an easily identifiable one): seems the camera hangs up if you move the focusing box, in MF, to the lower right corner and try to AFL focus. It has been confirmed by others. They say the camera restarts only by removing battery, and... I'm not going to try this one :) (also cause now I have 1.13...).
I'm starting to think Fuji needs some fresh meat in its software department... :)

I confirm what Alessandro said about the focus locking up when you move the box to lower right corner and use the afl button. It locks up and to bring it back to life I had to re-insert the battery.
Also, I'd like to thank Alessandro for the link to version 1.13. Wasn't sure I could go backwards, but I'm back to 1.13 and my focus is back to normal! CMON FUJI!!!!!!!

Just update mine. MF+AFL is useless as it is now. On the other hand, low light AF is so much much better now. So hopefully a next FW update will bring the MF+AFL feature back.

Well ... at least Fuji is coming out with firmware upgrades at a decent pace. It took Fuji forever after the X100 first came out, and we were all complaining. If they'd just drop the stinking price on those black X100's!! They are super sexy looking cameras, but $1700 for a change of color, hood, and a case???

Seems to me that it favors the extreme right side of the focusing rectangle, so if you know that, MF should be "usable". I tend to use AF-S a lot more and now I can use the RAW button to switch between Multi and Area AF Mode. So I'll keep the 1.2 fw for a little while. Expect to see a 1.21 pretty soon.

And, I can get the camera to lock up by moving the focus rectangle to the right edge, doesn't have to be the corner. Maybe if we call Fuji and complain that my camera locked up each time this happens, they'll get a fix out ASAP :)

-Thomas

Back