Fuji X-H1 further musings

@Biro I don't know if you saw the latest back and forth I've gone through on bodies. But it reminded me of you asking me this question. The short of it is that I needed some labor intensive work done on my Jeep. The friend doing it wanted my X-T2, so we just did a trade for the repair. Event season was over and there was a great deal on X-Pro2s. So I grabbed one for my personal work and portraits. But I will pick up a X-T3 when they release this winter, a heavily discounted X-T2, or equally possibly a X-H1 for the next event season. When not working I much prefer the Pro2. But when working, or doing video, a gripped body with a tilt screen is the best tool for the job.

I hear all this. Sorry you had to deal with the Jeep expense but glad you got a good deal. In a way, the timing was perfect and gives you an excuse to upgrade in time for the next busy period.

Myself, I'm pretty much coming to the end of the acquisition stage of my life. That doesn't mean that I'm dumping my gear. But upgrades will be much less frequent and much more considered.

I don't mind this. Sensor and autofocus performance are good enough for my needs now. Until something like an organic sensor or global shutter come down the pike, I'm good. In the meantime, I've still got my X-Pro2, X-T2 and original X100 (as well as other kit).

@Biro you nailed it. I got really lucky with the timing of everything for the deal on the X-Pro2.

I completely agree with everything you said about the performance of the currently available gear. Which is why, unless the the X-T3 is mind blowing, I am leaning more heavily towards picking up a X-T2 with grip at the much reduced rate it will be at by then.

We don't have an all encompassing XH1 thread, but I think this one has the most general title. (y)

I've had a little time today to try the new-to-me XH1. (It's used but it's in great shape so I'm happy.) My impressions are:
1. IQ is the same as the XE3, which is a good thing.
2. It's my biggest camera right now. Having mostly used mu43 in recent years, I had forgotten how good a bigger camera can feel in the hands and how much easier it is to hold it steady. I really like the ergonomics, although it is a close call to push the EC button and turn the rear dial. Still, I'm not going going to put the EC button into "on/off" mode.
3. The shutter release is great. I have no trouble finding the half press and the release is very smooth. Between the release, the IBIS, and the added heft of the body it's easy to take steady shots.
4. I like the top plate LCD. It's quicker to see the info I need than looking around the LCD.
5. The 35 1.4 has found a home on this body. AF is plenty quick for what I shoot. I may try the AF-C next time my grand daughter is over.
6. I tend to be a half-presser, but the AF-on is in such a convenient spot I may try using it.
7. Button layout is pretty good. It's funny, but on small bodies the buttons are too close and I hit the wrong ones by accident. On this one they are a little more of a stretch but no accidents. :doh:

That is all for now.

Oh yeah, I turned the touch screen off. The swiping motion is hit or miss and I prefer the joystick to pick the AF point. Just checked and I have firmware 1.00. :rolleyes: Need to upgrade, especially since I want the IBIS to work with the OIS in the 50-230.

Last edited:
I picked up a new X-H1 with battery grip during the recent sale. I still have a couple of X-T1s, I'll probably sell the black body and keep the silver one as a back up body. I like to use primes, including a large collection of legacy lenses. The IBIS works really well with these lenses, especially with my shaky old hands. I like the feel of the camera, and the shutter release works very well, for me. I thought it was a little heavy, till I picked up my old Nikon D200 with an 18-55mm lens. The X-H1 is a feather in comparison.

An interesting piece here from Austin, Texas, professional Kirk Tuck about how the X-H1 has evolved so much via firmware updates since its introduction. Worth a read for anyone is sitting on the fence about this camera...

I had put thoughts of a X-H1 on the back burner after deciding to go with the 90mm over the 50-140. But after reading about the build quality on this camera, now I’m back to considering it. My wallet does not thank you 😂

I upgraded to the newest firmware shortly after getting the XH1 so I never experienced the early growing pains as KT describes in the article. The camera does have that tank-like solid feel coupled with that smooth shutter button. Aside from the IBIS, those two combine to make my own steadiness better. Unless the little extra weight bothers you (it weights essentially the same as the A7 iii) it's a wonderful camera in the hands.

Last edited:
You guys are killing me!! I didn't come to Fuji for the DSLR styled bodies. I came for the X-Pro2 and X-E2 cameras. Now I have to go look at this X-H1!!

I had put thoughts of a X-H1 on the back burner after deciding to go with the 90mm over the 50-140. But after reading about the build quality on this camera, now I’m back to considering it. My wallet does not thank you 😂

Kirk Tuck's blog is one of the few interesting photography blogs out there, but don't follow his lead when it comes to switching and buying into all the different camera systems ;)

Kirk Tuck's blog is one of the few interesting photography blogs out there, but don't follow his lead when it comes to switching and buying into all the different camera systems ;)
I definitely won’t be switching systems. I am very happy with Fuji. This is a case of his blog post being the most in depth I’ve read about the build quality. Which has me thinking about the X-H1 again. As he mentioned, all anyone really talks about is the features.

Back