Fuji X-E3

Who would do that when a joystick is available to do the same thing? How would you know for sure you are hitting the correct area? With the joystick you know your hand is controlling things properly.
Panasonic cameras have two modes: absolute and relative. When using the former, if you hit the left top corner of the LCD, the focus point goes to the left top corner. Same for other locations. In the latter, as soon as you place the thumb on the LCD, you are able to move the AF block you see in the EVF in the same way you do when you use the joystick. Believe me, it is extremely fast and more accurate than any joystick. Some people do not like it just because they stick their nose on the LCD and that can lead to misplaced focus points when using the absolute mode. Personally I have never had an issue. If you have a chance, go play with a GX85, G85, or a GH5 at Best Buy - those are the cameras with the very best implementation. You might have to activate the feature though. They even have a PIP mode where you see an enlarged view of the subject right where the focus point is. Oh, and use the precision single focus point.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a way, it is mouse vs keyboard pointers
upload_2017-8-31_15-30-24.png

The relative mode is like using a mouse. The joystick is like using the pointer. Which one is faster? The mouse is. The joystick is only faster at moving the point back to the center by pressing it.

That's not gonna fly for me. I can reach the far right side of the rear LCD, and no further. Granted I am shooting a Pro2. But even on the current X-E2 I can only get my thumb over the right 3rd of the screen. So the either the X-E3 is going to have to be a lot smaller, the screen area which controls focus will have to be small, or I will have to take my finger off of the shutter to access the entire LCD to control where the focus goes. On the Pro2, I can operate the shutter, shutter speed, and AF control stick instinctively and one handed if needed.

That's not gonna fly for me. I can reach the far right side of the rear LCD, and no further. Granted I am shooting a Pro2. But even on the current X-E2 I can only get my thumb over the right 3rd of the screen. So the either the X-E3 is going to have to be a lot smaller, the screen area which controls focus will have to be small, or I will have to take my finger off of the shutter to access the entire LCD to control where the focus goes. On the Pro2, I can operate the shutter, shutter speed, and AF control stick instinctively and one handed if needed.
In relative mode you only need a very small portion of the screen, not the whole thing.

I'm in Kyle's camp . . . if it works for other people and is successful for Fuji, good for them. After years of trying on many different cameras, I'm in the Goldilocks Zone now with the X-T1. There are people who are still using their original X100 or XPro1, and it's their only camera. I'm hoping my X-T1 lasts that long.

While I do not like it, and will stick to what I know. As well as hope this never makes it into the next X-Pro. I also agree that if this is a camera which draws in money from the market segment who will use it's features. It will be good for all of us. And if everything in the Fuji lineup goes to touch screen, there is always the Nikon D850 and whatever the D750 replacement will be. :daz:

I'm in Kyle's camp . . . if it works for other people and is successful for Fuji, good for them. After years of trying on many different cameras, I'm in the Goldilocks Zone now with the X-T1. There are people who are still using their original X100 or XPro1, and it's their only camera. I'm hoping my X-T1 lasts that long.

Likewise

Just my 2 cents

I’m one of those people who use their ancient camera models as their only camera. It’s not that I dislike the more current models, it’s more of a case of the reach of their photographic technology exceeding my photographic grasp. I’ll try to hold on to my gear as long as a I can but when the time comes that my camera stops working I’ll get another X body. There are some X bodies I like, and I will admit, there are some that I don’t.

I like Fuji as a manufacturer, not only do they produce good cameras and lenses (among other things) but they also look after their customer base, after all they still offer support to the gear I use (and it’s ancient) as well as their constant firmware upgrades to continually improve their products instead of releasing a new model every 5 minutes.

I would like them to continue to survive as a business, if they make a popular camera that a lot of people buy, good for them, even if it means it’s a camera that I don’t like and would not buy for myself. If they are profitable as a business it gives them a measure of freedom to develop and keep producing cameras that I do like and I would buy for myself :D

I like Fuji as a manufacturer, not only do they produce good cameras and lenses (among other things) but they also look after their customer base, after all they still offer support to the gear I use (and it’s ancient) as well as their constant firmware upgrades to continually improve their products instead of releasing a new model every 5 minutes.

I would like them to continue to survive as a business, if they make a popular camera that a lot of people buy, good for them, even if it means it’s a camera that I don’t like and would not buy for myself. If they are profitable as a business it gives them a measure of freedom to develop and keep producing cameras that I do like and I would buy for myself :D

Excellent points.

Does this make anyone else think of this as a practical alternative interchangeable option to X100F? I know the X100F has the leak shutter, flash and OVF, but they do seem similar in terms of size and image output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this make anyone else think of this as a practical alternative interchangeable option to X100F? I know the X100F has the leak shutter, flash and OVF, but they do seem similar in terms of size and image output.

No. I tried that with the X-E2 and the 27mm. Trust me, you will always want the X100... ;)

Actually, now that speculation has been replaced by reality, I think I will go in search of a good used XE2s in a few weeks...

If I still shot Fuji that is exactly what I'd be thinking. The 3 is a total miss for me (loss of controls and loss of flash). Kind of like the E-M10mk3 from Olympus.

But I do agree about manufacturers having to sell cameras. If this is what it takes so be it. I will just need to make a different choice. Truth be told, I prefer not to lust after every new camera that drops. It has been rather easy lately. :)

Back