Fuji X-E3

While I don't like that they removed the D-pad, I very much like how Fuji has implemented their touch screen. Fuji's touch screen with the dedicated on/off screen button that stays active even if touch is turned off is more convenient than Olympus or Panasonic in that regard, no need to use another button or go menu diving. If they've added menu and Q-Menu control I see that as a plus (especially the Q-Menu).

And being an X70 user, I like the tilt. The fact the X-E3 doesn't have one means it's off my list. I use the LCD on my Panasonic GX85 more than the EVF and tilt it very useful, I prefer it over articulated. Guess I'm going to have to hope the touch updates can be added to the X-T20 through FW.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but at least I know what I'm looking for and can define some of my requirements.

While I don't like that they removed the D-pad, I very much like how Fuji has implemented their touch screen. Fuji's touch screen with the dedicated on/off screen button that stays active even if touch is turned off is more convenient than Olympus or Panasonic in that regard, no need to use another button or go menu diving. If they've added menu and Q-Menu control I see that as a plus (especially the Q-Menu).

And being an X70 user, I like the tilt. The fact the X-E3 doesn't have one means it's off my list. I use the LCD on my Panasonic GX85 more than the EVF and tilt it very useful, I prefer it over articulated. Guess I'm going to have to hope the touch updates can be added to the X-T20 through FW.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but at least I know what I'm looking for and can define some of my requirements.
I don't think you're in the minority. Most folks want touch and tilt screens.

I don't think you're in the minority. Most folks want touch and tilt screens.

I think that's a bit of a leap. I've seen no reliable - and I mean reliable - analysis to support such a claim. I can see that such features appeal to some people, they don't appeal to me, but I don't regard myself as in a majority or a minority, simply a holder of a different view, based upon my past experience and personal shooting preferences.

What depresses me is that if these predictions hold true the X-E3 is fast becoming another "me too" product with nothing to make it stand out from similar offerings from the likes of Sony, Panasonic etc. The reason that depresses me is that it will have a harder time without a USP carving a niche for itself, it will not sell well and it will likely be the last of that line. My first interchangeable lens X body was the X-E1 and it hooked me in. If I was in the same market today I wouldn't give the new X-E3 a second glance.

I assume that Fuji and the other OEMs are doing enough market research to evaluate the need for tilt screens and touch screens even if they haven't published these results.

I think that's a bit of a leap. I've seen no reliable - and I mean reliable - analysis to support such a claim. I can see that such features appeal to some people, they don't appeal to me, but I don't regard myself as in a majority or a minority, simply a holder of a different view, based upon my past experience and personal shooting preferences.

What depresses me is that if these predictions hold true the X-E3 is fast becoming another "me too" product with nothing to make it stand out from similar offerings from the likes of Sony, Panasonic etc. The reason that depresses me is that it will have a harder time without a USP carving a niche for itself, it will not sell well and it will likely be the last of that line. My first interchangeable lens X body was the X-E1 and it hooked me in. If I was in the same market today I wouldn't give the new X-E3 a second glance.
I personally believe Fuji is one of the few OEMs that seems to really introduce improvements to their cameras - new, and old if possible- with a steady pace. I think the X-E3 will be a better camera than the X-T20. They have probably made its touchscreen what the X-T20 touchscreen is not. I also believe that the lack of the D pad might simply mean that they introduced something that works even better. I might be wrong, but I have not seen regressions in Fuji's products. Let's hope for the best.

You know, if they come out with a model that doesn't really go in my particular direction, but it sells well and keeps them going, then I'm going to cheer for it. There is no bad Fuji camera sale, to me, as long as they keep making models I do specifically lust after.

Having said that, the XE-3 with a good touch screen might still be something I enjoy using someday - and not unimportantly, my wife might enjoy it more than the XT1*. She takes shots sometimes too, and if I had the "Full Auto" switch somewhere, she'd be thrilled. For my sake, I want

- AF points on a joystick or at LEAST on a 4-way, which looks to be off this model now so hopefully it's a joystick
- white balance and shutter mode (electronic, physical, or both) on assignable hot keys,
- ISO on a dial, and
- shutter speed under my pointer finger (with it in Timer mode so I have the entire range). I switch out of Astia once a month or so for Classic Chrome, or maybe B&W. But these days I've got it whittled down to where I adjust ISO and WB when I first start shooting, then aperture every 3rd or 4th shot, and shutter speed on the front command dial every single shot. That's it. No other fiddling or menu diving. I've got to teach her about the shutter speed command dial... she'd eventually love it.

*Comment is meant to convey the challenges of "not a hardcore equipment using photographer" types, and not a comment on gender abilities or some other "women can't do it" nonsense. She knows how to line up or stage a shot better than I do, but I'm the one who spends all the hours with the gear in my hands, so only I really understand fully how to run it. You should see me with her mac laptop... I'm pitiful outside of Windows.

looks like we're not going to get a bigger evf.. a letdown for me, at least:

Fujifilm X-E3 Electronic Viewfinder Same Size of EVF in Fujifilm X-T20 - Fuji Rumors

and a rough size comparison to the x-e2:

Fujifilm-X-E2-Vs.-Fujifilm-X-E3-720x423.jpg

Fujifilm X-E3 Vs. X-E2 Size & Weight Comparison, Touch Screen will Work also in EVF mode, EF-X8 Flash in the Box... and More Details - Fuji Rumors

I'm starting to wonder who the target market is that this is aimed at. The X-T20 is obvious. If one does not want or need the features of the X-T2, simply does not have the funds FOR a T2, or just wants a smaller version. This is starting to look like a mix of the XA, XE, and T20 lines.

I'm starting to wonder who the target market is that this is aimed at. The X-T20 is obvious. If one does not want or need the features of the X-T2, simply does not have the funds FOR a T2, or just wants a smaller version. This is starting to look like a mix of the XA, XE, and T20 lines.
It is pretty hard to identify who the target is on this one... The camera is small, but other than the 27mm lens there are really no pocket-able lenses for it. And the 27mm does not have an aperture ring, so people would have to use the front dial for aperture control. OK, the front dial can be used for ISO and EXP COMP too by toggling it. So the top Fn button can be used for Auto ISO settings, or metering, or film simulations... or flash settings? I'd keep AF-L and AE-L assigned to focus and exposure lock, though AF-L is in a pretty uncomfortable location to use it for back button focus. Same for the Q menu button...
I have the feeling that the joystick can have functions assigned to it (a la Panasonic GH5), but that works only if you plan on using the touchscreen as pad for the focus point selection. That would be OK with me, but only if the touchpad works as good as the Panasonic ones do. In comparison the Olympus one are sloppy and inaccurate.
Without that joystick having multiple functions assigned, I think I would not be happy with the camera due to the lack of dedicated buttons for things like focus mode selection (single, zone, tracking) and metering. All that because the Q button is really too oddly located to be comfortably used in every scenario. Maybe this camera is going to have soft buttons on the touchscreen like Panasonic does?
Oh, and the fixed screen is also something I think I would not be happy with. OK, it does make the camera sturdier and smaller, but we all like to explore new angles and a fixed screen just does not work that well. I do not see this camera in my future.
As a side note, I wish the extra real estate in the back were used to move the focus mode selector to the back where you can always see in what focus more you are in. The front location kind of pisses me off, cause when I have to grab the camera for a quick shot I always have to look at the front bottom of the camera first, sometimes missing the shot. Have not got used to a blind operation of that selector switch yet.
Those are my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only Fuji is still the XE-1 and I'm hoping this will be a good upgrade as I really like the rangefinder style. More to come when it gets here...

I'm surprised that the only way to move the focus point will be the touchscreen. Given some of the discussion in this very thread, that will limit the market a bit. I would have thought that just a joystick would have been a great idea.

I'm surprised that the only way to move the focus point will be the touchscreen. Given some of the discussion in this very thread, that will limit the market a bit. I would have thought that just a joystick would have been a great idea.
Having owned panasonic cameras before my experience with the touchscreen to move the focus point was very good. But I do believe they are alienating some customers by doing that.

The focus point will be able to be moved with the joystick. The X-E3 has a viewfinder. Having to pull away from the camera to change focus points does not make sense.

The focus point will be able to be moved with the joystick. The X-E3 has a viewfinder. Having to pull away from the camera to change focus points does not make sense.
What they are adding is the ability of the touchscreen to work as a pad when it is off and you are looking through the EVF, so you do not have to pull away the camera to change focus point.

What they are adding is the ability of the touchscreen to work as a pad when it is off and you are looking through the EVF, so you do not have to pull away the camera to change focus point.

Who would do that when a joystick is available to do the same thing? How would you know for sure you are hitting the correct area? With the joystick you know your hand is controlling things properly.

Back