Fuji X-A1 superior image quality to X-M1 (and X-E1 and X-PRO1)?

But the question remains: if IQ is so similar, other than because you're already shooting X-Trans Fuji cameras, why not choose the conventional Bayer sensor, since it's a little less expensive and (more importantly) is probably better supported by most PP software packages?

Well sure, but why buy a D800E when the D800 already has loads of resolution and doesn't have the potential problems with moire, etc. ? I think the draw is essentially the same: certain people always want the best, or to wring the most performance out - even if it's a tiny margin.

Iridient Developer now supports the X-A1 and CA correction metadata, so I was able to update my shootout gallery on Flickr with two Iridient samples. I found that deconvolution sharpening worked great with X-Trans (so I used this method for the X-M1 samples), while hybrid sharpening appears to be more effective with Bayer (so I used this method for the X-A1 samples).

I think deliberately removing useful firmware features from the x-m1 that are included in the X20 or even XF1 isn't a good idea. In my opinion, the X-M1 should be able to exist as a little sister to the X-E1/2, so I'd expect the cameras to share as many firmware features as it technically possible. There will still be plenty of hardware differences, so there's no reason to fear that the M1 would cannibalize the E2.

Super impressed with XA-1. Here's a JPG with kit lens, 50mm, f5.6, 1/125, ISO 5000, straight out of camera.

Reduced to 1024 via LR5; crops via LR5; no PP.

attachment.php

100% crop

attachment.php

100% crop

attachment.php

Weird. The three photos above seem to disappear from time to time. I can only see them when logged in via web browser. Can't see the photos via phone apps, or when I'm not logged in when using web browser.

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the three photos on the post above?

As said in other post: very impressive, Armanius. BTW: I find the x-m1 results equally impressive. See this one:

View attachment 16370

I can understand why people will choose the X-M1, e.g. as backup camera. This keeps the workflow intact.

As said in other post: very impressive, Armanius. BTW: I find the x-m1 results equally impressive. See this one:

I can understand why people will choose the X-M1, e.g. as backup camera. This keeps the workflow intact.

From a pure JPG standpoint, my brief experience with the XA1 and XM1 at the local shop, makes me believe the XA1 renders OOC JPG with more detail and less noise at high ISO. Although Rico's comparisons of the RAW files indicate otherwise.

Just picked up the X-A1. For green foliage there is no doubt it renders more detail. Likewise there are some other quirks of the X-trans it doesn't exhibit with regard to moire and fine colored detail. Having said that, on the typical shots I take, there isn't much of a difference. I like the tilt screen and wish Fuji would have included that with the X-E1 update. The 16-50 lens is nice and light while still being sharp but it's hard to go back to such a slow lens. I really don't get the F6.3 speed of the new 50-230mm zoom.

f6.3? Yikes. I suppose it's a bright day only lens.

Just picked up the X-A1. For green foliage there is no doubt it renders more detail. Likewise there are some other quirks of the X-trans it doesn't exhibit with regard to moire and fine colored detail. Having said that, on the typical shots I take, there isn't much of a difference. I like the tilt screen and wish Fuji would have included that with the X-E1 update. The 16-50 lens is nice and light while still being sharp but it's hard to go back to such a slow lens. I really don't get the F6.3 speed of the new 50-230mm zoom.

230mm (aka 345mm) will rarely be used for night shoots, I guess, at least not by amateurs holding their X-A1/M1 with both hands in front of their faces... ;)

Then again, isn't f/6.3 the magic number of the magic Leica X Vario?

Back