Women's Cycling Tour of Britain (image heavy)

Richard

All-Pro
The Women’s Tour of Britain passed through my town yesterday. The final stage was from Marlow to Hemel Hempstead so we were able to see the preparations and start of the race. The event is only in its second year but already draws some of the world’s best women’s teams and competitors.

In addition to the bikes, there were various other vehicles on show, including these support cars parked up in the High Street ahead of the race.

18433421993_142270d173_b.jpg
Support Cars
by Richard, on Flickr

There were a LOT of police motorcycles in evidence too. They'd come from constabularies all over Britain except, curiously, the Thames Valley. We particularly liked the row of police helmets hanging on the blue flashing lights of the motorcycles (impaled heads?)

19057247771_50205da051_b.jpg
Police Helmets
by Richard, on Flickr

This is a local cycling club, who led the main race out of town later.

19027803406_f382bb7db7_b.jpg
Marlow Riders
by Richard, on Flickr

And this is Britain’s Laura Trott, double gold medallist at the London 2012 Olympics.

19057152551_37d382b6d2_b.jpg
Laura Trott OBE
by Richard, on Flickr

The main car park in town was full of team vehicles and competitors preparing for the race. Everything was very accessible and friendly, so there was plenty of opportunity to take photos and talk to the participants. These are some members of the Pearl Izumi team warming up on rollers prior to the race.

18866233380_5070edae0d_b.jpg
Warming Up
by Richard, on Flickr

Cycling is a colourful sport, but some of the garish outfits aren’t exactly flattering to the wearer (yes, team Ale Cipollini, I'm looking at you). But I liked the smart outfits of Team USA – this is Sara Headley.

19027675206_9b0b167832_b.jpg
Sara Headley
by Richard, on Flickr

Prior to the race the teams were introduced to the crowd in the High Street. This is the Optum team.

18433199113_38b097e423_b.jpg
Optum Team
by Richard, on Flickr

Susanna Zorzi and Sarah Rukes of the Lotto Soudal team about to do a lap of the car park.

18433168843_0d3797368b_b.jpg
Lotto Soudal
by Richard, on Flickr

This is sports journalist and TV presenter Ned Boulting chatting to visitors.

18866101790_08bf5e56a5_b.jpg
Ned Boulting
by Richard, on Flickr

The start of the stage was ‘neutralised’, which means that the field weren’t actually racing for the first couple of miles. I think that’s a safety precaution, but it also means that the riders don’t flash past you quite so quickly when you’re watching from the side of the road.

18866101798_a455369d39_b.jpg
The Field
by Richard, on Flickr

The yellow jersey is worn here by Lisa Brennauer, who went on to win the overall event. The polka dot jersey belongs to Melissa Hoskins as ‘Queen of the Mountains’ (not many mountains in this part of the world, but I’ll let that pass). That's Laura Trott again in the front row, second on the left.

19053722175_73ffb5987c_b.jpg
Tour Leaders
by Richard, on Flickr

Then we were passed by a phalanx of support vehicles and suddenly it was all over. The stage was won by Britain’s Hannah Barnes, who I managed not to photograph.

19053690395_c60240c0a0_b.jpg
Team Vehicles
by Richard, on Flickr

-R

This was a bit of a one-off situation for us as it was happening in our home town. We wouldn't normally go to watch a live cycle race as you only get to see a glimpse of the action as the riders flash by.

But we always enjoy watching the TV coverage of the Tour de France, which starts again in a couple of weeks. We normally watch the highlights programme in the evening which gives us all the action of the day edited down to a manageable hour or so of viewing. And it's really spectacular when they're up in the Alps and the Pyrenees with the helicopter shots of the riders and vehicles snaking through the landscape below. The Tour de France is about three weeks in duration so we become familiar with the teams and riders as the daily dramas play out.

(Our own cycling exploits are much more of the local-pub-and-back type)

-R

Very cool! I am a fan, yes the action is short but I see you went to see the start: very fun because everyone is accessible. Regardless, cycling races are great for practicing photography.
By the way, the line of police motorcycles looks familiar:
View attachment 110981DSCF4563.jpg by pjcbs, on Flickr

...following on my last comment elsewhere... what $360,000 worth of motorcycle looks like in one small photo...

Back