WINNER ANNOUNCED The Ninth Photographer's Lounge Salon Challenge - LACUNA

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
It gives me great pleasure to announce the theme for the ninth Photographer's Lounge Salon Challenge.

Lacuna

A lacuna is an unfilled space, a gap, a void. A place where you might reasonably expect something to be, but isn't. A lacuna may be a deliberate absence, where the viewer is expected to "join the dots" themselves and arrive at an intended conclusion. It may also be accidental, through the sin of omission.

Show me the spaces between.

This Salon will run until the 8th of March.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the PL Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

Well I don't mind saying that this Challenge - Lacuna - has been quite difficult for me, so far, to wrap my mind around. I think it's a brilliant idea. I know artists often talk about 'negative space' in paintings; and Tai Chi philosophers speak of the importance of the empty space inside things which no one sees....but which is an integral part of the form of some things.

But the more I have thought about it, the harder it is to come up with anything that comes close. However, this is the best I can do on short notice. It was taken in an empty space adjacent to my local small-town public library - a space that has remained empty while the rest of the town has grown up around it.

15221253629_ccff0d3950_b.jpg

Locate
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

lines.jpg

An explanation of mine. Recently the state government has seen fit to close the rail line into the centre of the city. They want to make money by selling the land to developers. The rail line is almost but not quite, waterfront. The part that is not will be reopened when ... well... I dunno. But here... there ought to be a train. and there never will be again.

Back