WINNER ANNOUNCED - The Fourth Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge - "Through the Looking Glass"

I have selected as the Theme for the fourth challenge "Through the Looking Glass."

Ideas could be reflections in a mirror, pond, etc or shots inspired from/resembeling scenes from the book and subsequent movies, Through the Looking-Glass - Wikipedia

The salon starts today Nov 13th and let's finish the day before Thanksgiving Day, Nov 26th.

I will hope to choose a winner by the end of the holiday

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the PL Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon (that's me).

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

Ah but I did... ;) Have a look at the last few shots on my Ipernity stream and you can see I have been "playing" today. If you look carefully at this one you will see the face of an ape...

Larry Bell's illusory reflections.

Almost a year ago, I was at a museum in Oakland, California and I saw some pieces by the sculptor Larry Bell. Many of Bell's works, as I later found out, were concerned with 'perception' - how the human eye and brain 'see' and 'perceive' various kinds and states of reality - and probably, too, how the processes of 'seeing' and 'perceiving' alter not only us, but what we see. Some people call this art movement Perceptualism. As one critic and admirer said of some of his largely glass pieces: "the patterning of the mirrored glass became more complex, providing ever more elaborate and eye-bending interplays of multi planar interfacing." And more to the point: "the distinct separation between the viewer and the object begins to break down as the viewer's image is subtly reflected by the glass and becomes a visual element of the piece."

Whew. It's pretty heady stuff. Someone also said that his work is really all about illusory reflections.

But the short version is: in his pieces that I saw that day, he was using glass - and multiple refractions and reflections - in ways I found pretty amazing.

I spent a lot of time looking at one piece in particular. Then, on a whim, because I had a camera with me, I took a few self-portraits - selfies - of myself looking at my reflections, in and through - and almost on the other side of - the glass sculpture.

It's the closest I can think of, in any of my photos, of looking through a looking glass.

11609290465_aa19c9961d_b.jpg

Self-portrait at the Museum
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

OW5Oj3N.jpg

Back