Winner announced: The 3rd CAMERADERIE.ORG Photo Challenge - “Backlit”

XT1A7529.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I hope it is okay if I join in

First, I’d like to thank everyone that took the time to post an entry. The sheer number and, most of all, quality of the entries did have a downside, however. It made it that much more difficult to decide on a winner.

Finally, after much internal debate, here are the results:
Honorable mention(s) - too many to enumerate

3rd place - Ripleysbaby
The color and light in this stand of trees make for an extremely atmospheric and impactful image. A slight fog/mist, details in the tree trunks and a saturated color palette also contribute to making this very appealing photo. Nicely done, Ripleysbaby.

2nd place - Matero
This is one very interesting and well done photo. I really struggled deciding between this entry and the eventual winner. As with the winner, this is an excellent composition. Negative space takes up quite a bit of the real estate in this image, and is very effective in emphasizing the subject matter.

The backlighting from the light box/slide viewer does a great job of illuminating the perfectly placed slides, fingers and hair. The golden hair, in fact, nicely anchors the image to the frame.....very creative! Finally, I’m convinced all those eyes were looking right at me. Kinda creepy, actually. Outstanding work, Matero!

1st place - KillRamsey
One of the very first entries, this photo grabbed me upon first viewing, and I knew it would be tough to beat. Terrific composition! The two huge angled doors(emphasized even more by the low angle of the shot) open up to show a mysterious new world, for our band of intrepid bicyclists to explore. Things I really like: the low angle of the shot, the fact the people are not complete silhouettes, the pose/placement of the people(especially the woman and young boy) in the frame, the negative space at each end of the frame, that serves to emphasize and focus attention on the subjects.

For me, this photo checks all the boxes.....it has effective backlighting, is very atmospheric and, to top it off, is an outstanding composition. In short, it’s my choice as the winner of this Challenge.

Congratulations, KillRamsey!

It’s now your turn to host the next Challenge.

Back