Windows Windows XP Updates for SP3- through 2019...

73 Updates... I rebooted and it got 20 more.

Now to make it run real-mode DOS off the thumb drive, including compilers, linkers, and of course- Wordstar.

I use XP to run 16-bit DOS programs, but don't connect it directly to a network. I can't even imagine doing that anymore.

I've been doing the same with my XP and W98se machines- not connecting to the Internet.

Nothing important on this machine- a Panasonic CF-52 that was given to me. So far, it's stable. Nothing lost if I wipe the hard drive.

I've been doing the same with my XP and W98se machines- not connecting to the Internet.

Nothing important on this machine- a Panasonic CF-52 that was given to me. So far, it's stable. Nothing lost if I wipe the hard drive.

Win98 also does something that corporate O/S's (NT/2000/XP/7/8/10) don't do - it will easily recover corrupted files on flash media, using simple DOS tools.

I love Win98se- came across some freeware I did not have before, allows use of USB thumb drives and other USB media. I had been using the PCMCIA memory mostly.

The last Microsoft with BootGUI= 0.

I use real-mode/PharLap extenders for most of my embedded work.

Old Tricks that you forgot two decades ago...

Apparently the newer Phoenix BIOS used in machines that have BIOS support for USB disk forgot how to do the 3.0 extended memory spec... My CF-51 and CF-52 reported only "64MBytes" of extended memory when booted into real-mode DOS. Most of my older machines, up to the Panasonic CF-50 Toughbooks had no problem reporting all of memory and having it available to the protected-mode shell, Phar Lap "TNT.EXE". Loaded "HIMEM.SYS" from Win98se, problem solved. I was going to disassemble tnt.exe, find the test point, and Hex patch it...

You can get "system on a chip" Pentium class machines these days for embedded controllers. The old DOS extenders allow full hardware access. I like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Win98se- came across some freeware I did not have before, allows use of USB thumb drives and other USB media. I had been using the PCMCIA memory mostly.
The last Microsoft with BootGUI= 0.
I use real-mode/PharLap extenders for most of my embedded work.

SE is easy to convert for real-mode DOS on bootup (without Windows stub).

Bootgui=0 in msdos.sys

I've used that since Win95 came out, always type "win" to run windows.

attrib msdos.sys -r-h-s

edit msdos.sys
change bootgui=1 to bootgui=0

These days- I format the hard drives under realmode DOS, then install XP to dual boot.

The Panasonic CF-51 and CF-52 have native USB support under realmode DOS, probably a side-effect of supporting bootable USB devices. Works for me! But- having to load himem.sys to get beyond 64MBytes of memory was a surprise. Most of the computers used in the last 18 years supported all of memory in real mode with out it. The newer BIOS must have rolled back.

The net connected XP machine found another 39 updates Today.

Just installed "ad-Aware" free anti-virus scanner and SP3 on a CF-51. I have four "Disk Packs" (HD Caddies) for the CF-51. Some people "must" run XP to keep hardware running. I want to see how good the XP Support Hack and free AV software is. Better than running the machines without any updates or AV protection.

160 Updates for XP SP3 and counting.

I'm using a Panasonic CF-52 mk1 with XP sp3, "POS Updates", and Mozilla. 4gb RAM, 350GByte SATA drive. This computer was free, camewith an original battery. It's old. I've been running for almost 2 hours, and it's at 70%. This was an expensive computer "in the day". Fast enough for youtube, virus scanner, updater, etc. Think I'll use it over my Win7 I3 machine for a while, the HP Pavillion gets ~1Hr on the battery.

Many ham radio operators still run XP, which will run both 8 and 16-bit software, DOS software with TSRs, programs that talk directly to hardware, and a lot of older but still useful software.

There are two schools of thought re. using XP on the Net. One is that it's bad and dangerous, period. Another is that if you have a good virus scanner program, exercise due diligence and don't click on (especially) pictures of nekkid women, or any other links or attachments unless you are explicitly expecting them, you'll probably be OK. The no-attachments rule was reinforced for me recently when an organization I belong to was hacked, and a series of authentic-looking messages with attachments seemed to come from the organization's HQ. They contained Ransomware. I was on to it immediately, but others may have been fooled. Even I once was almost fooled, despite 30 years doing computer and network admin and support. Some of these schemes are very sophisticated. It isn't just kids in their parent's basements anymore. It's organized crime and state-sponsored actors from countries you often hear about in the news.

One good way to protect yourself besides being vigilant and running a virus scanner is to not run MS Office, and disable all macros from running without your explicit consent on any software you use. Since I left the corporate world I ditched MS-Office for LibreOffice, which reads current MS-Word files, is free and perfectly adequate for my needs. The aforementioned Ransomware was a .docm file, an MS-Word template with active macros.

Brian: I use Trend OfficeScan, which I believe still supports XP. Worth the subscription for peace of mind. I suspect many of us will have to think about this if we stick with Win7. I am for the foreseeable future. Microsoft's actions re. pushing Win10 with Malware-like behavior and social engineering tricks crossed a line that no company should ever cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to look of LibreOffice, I use Open Office, works fine. I download these on my Win7 machine, transfer to stand-alone computers. I like Win98 and XP from Cross-Compilers for microcontrollers and running device burners. Most of my professional work is done on stand-alone computers, air-gapped to any network. I've used the Internet since 1980.

We used Win98 on the Web for several years and never had a problem. We "upgraded" to XP and got killed in 30 seconds. We heard many lame excuses like "It's because hackers are targeting XP", and 100 other excuses. The truth is in a couple of things: One is that Win9x is a personal computer O/S that can run in DOS only, and also can fix corrupted photos. WinXP is a *corporate* O/S designed to protect the corporation, not you. The second thing has to do with making the computer host to massive advertising, which makes Microsoft tons of revenue. Actual corporations, when distributing Win7/8/10 etc., strip off the junk so their workstations aren't relying just on the virus software - most of the vulnerabilities are gone before the installs. We always had those stripped-down systems available for reinstalls.

I am going to have to look of LibreOffice, I use Open Office, works fine. I download these on my Win7 machine, transfer to stand-alone computers. I like Win98 and XP from Cross-Compilers for microcontrollers and running device burners. Most of my professional work is done on stand-alone computers, air-gapped to any network. I've used the Internet since 1980.

LibreOffice is basically the European fork of OpenOffice. I started with OpenOffice, but switched when I found that the former could not open recent .docx formats, but LibreOffice could. It made dealing with files from MS users easier. The one thing that drives me crazy in LibreOffice is that the Alt key is a toggle, but not a "hold me down" key. So my muscle memory sometimes betrays me and puts an "F" in the file when I'm just trying to save a file periodically. It's probably a UNIX-ish thing. I haven't been able to find how to change it,or if that's possible. These days I could write in almost anything, including a plain text editor. But a lot of people want Word files, so I send 'em .doc's made in LibreOffice.

We used Win98 on the Web for several years and never had a problem. We "upgraded" to XP and got killed in 30 seconds. We heard many lame excuses like "It's because hackers are targeting XP", and 100 other excuses. The truth is in a couple of things: One is that Win9x is a personal computer O/S that can run in DOS only, and also can fix corrupted photos. WinXP is a *corporate* O/S designed to protect the corporation, not you. The second thing has to do with making the computer host to massive advertising, which makes Microsoft tons of revenue. Actual corporations, when distributing Win7/8/10 etc., strip off the junk so their workstations aren't relying just on the virus software - most of the vulnerabilities are gone before the installs. We always had those stripped-down systems available for reinstalls.

Dale: Do you have any links to instructions for stripping the advert-ware and other bad stuff out of Win7/8/10? Since the Win10 debacle, I've contemplated going to Linux. But the programs I use for raw developing and music composition are for Win or Mac, and the "equivalents" in the *NIX world are nowhere near as good. I'd like to stick with Win7 as long as I can, and I'd also like to keep the MS spy- and shill-ware at bay. Please contact me at pklein at threshinc dot com if this is too OT for here.

Dale: Do you have any links to instructions for stripping the advert-ware and other bad stuff out of Win7/8/10? Since the Win10 debacle, I've contemplated going to Linux. But the programs I use for raw developing and music composition are for Win or Mac, and the "equivalents" in the *NIX world are nowhere near as good. I'd like to stick with Win7 as long as I can, and I'd also like to keep the MS spy- and shill-ware at bay. Please contact me at pklein at threshinc dot com if this is too OT for here.

No, I have no idea. I had the disc for WinXP and Win7-64 at one time, but left the software shop and subsequently tossed the discs. The shop eventually got Win8 but I never saw that in-person. I've found several sources locally (SE U.S.) for stripped-down copies of WinXP, so I stick with those for the time being. Independent computer repair shops are a good source, but they would likely need to install the O/S and not give you discs.

Sometimes i find myself typing ^KX even of I'm not using Wordstar... But of course, I usuallly am...

I like XP as it can easily run software that I've used for over 35 years. My Wordstar 6 is from 1990. Writing code in "Non-Document Mode" is fast and efficient. I have it setup for .asm, .for, and .c files. I should see if Multi-Edit is available on Vetusware.com- but i still stuck with WS6. I had WS4 set where my Fortran codes invoked it to edit data while the code was running.

Back