Critique Wanted Wind in the Trees

ReD

Hall of Famer
Wind in the Trees

Outside my back door last night trying to capture wind in the trees
Iso 800 ¼ sec hand held

On the camera screen it looked well lit (better than presented here). After transfer it was almost completely dark so needed pp adjustment.

This made me wonder whether I’d be better off trying to adjust / calibrate camera screen brightness to my monitor (if that is possible) – it would make composition harder but at least I’d get a better visual feel / feedback & select the appropriate settings for SOOC

Any other pointers appreciated

I'm not saying it would've worked, but I probably would've experimented with using a flash during that long exposure time, so that there would be one crisp imprint of the trees amongst the blurred movement. I would've had to make adjustments not to over-expose, but barely, since the sky would be unaffected. And it might not have looked cool, but then again it might've been kinda cool, especially if you could extend the time out to over a second. One crisp imprint with motion blur behind it...

I like it as it is. As for it looking brighter on your screen than it does later, I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that. Cameras handle this differently. Some will show you an approximate exposure....others will assume you know what kind of exposure you want and just brighten the screen to aid in framing. Does you Fuji manual explain how it works?

I also like Kyle's idea, but I understand nothing of flash photography

cool idea from Kyle & worth a crack to compare - I think the term is curtain flash or something & i'd need a tripod set up

too much lighten in pp on the original & the softness is lost

A quick example...

lws0.jpg

This was hand held on the X100. The crisp imprint of the guy is when the flash went off, but the trails are the remainder of the open shutter time.

Back