Critique Wanted Which one? (A scenario)

2 looks more like a "professional" shot because of what's already been said. 1 is more provocative, though. There's a tension inherent in it... you just want the damned hand to get out of the way already. I go with 2.

2 looks more like a "professional" shot because of what's already been said. 1 is more provocative, though. There's a tension inherent in it... you just want the damned hand to get out of the way already. I go with 2.

I'm not seeing that. There's something more "rebellious" about the hand being in the way, mainly because its in the center of the frame. It also gives the appearance that the singer is more bent over too.

#2 for me also... Ultimately it's a photo about a guy singing, so I want to see the action. When I shoot music photos I always aim for ones where you can directly see them singing/playing.

The exception here would be if this were being paired with an article about say, censorship, or the punk rock attitude of the lead singer. Then I might pick #1 on purpose because it would mesh with an "in your face" attitude backstory, or a subtle subtext of singing loud but being intentionally blocked. Otherwise I prefer #2 as a documentary or artistic shot.

#1 for me.

In #1 the hand is part of the act. It aligns with the face, the eyes, the body posture and these together give the image a direction and an energy that is lacking in #2.

In #2 the hand is off doing it's own thing. it's just a distraction.

2 …… IMHO I think that you can do better with a different crop - keep all the lights as in 2 and take it farther back

The background is important and the subject needs balancing to that

#2 because the lead singer's face isn't blocked - stars do like to be seen - and I think the design elements work better and have more impact in this one due to the placement of his hand, as well as the trajectory of the blurred lights. It feels cleaner and more powerful.

I do think you did really well, James!!:drinks:

I didn't know what to expect. Sometimes I get so close to my photos after spending a significant amount of time photographing and post-processing it, I can't tell what is what anymore. I sometimes leave my photos for a few days and when I come back to them I am able to see them with more objective eyes.

Back