Sony Which metering mode do you favor & why? [Poll]

Hard to say as different cameras have different characteristics. I guess I would favour multi mostly with a bit of spot thrown in occasionally! However, the EPL1 seems to work better when set to centre weighted for some reason:)

Andy,

I use multi for most pictures. Sony uses a 49 zone system arranged in a honey comb pattern that from my limited use and further reading is pretty good based on their underlying algorithms. I switch to center weighted for some architectural and portrait shots if the subject is more or less in the center of the frame. I use spot when I really want to constrict the metering and will lock and recompose as necessary. This is really no different from how I normally shoot most cameras unless there is a specific reason not too. There is probably no right or wrong way except to say the best way is the method that suits your shooting style.

Andy,

I use multi for most pictures. Sony uses a 49 zone system arranged in a honey comb pattern that from my limited use and further reading is pretty good based on their underlying algorithms. I switch to center weighted for some architectural and portrait shots if the subject is more or less in the center of the frame. I use spot when I really want to constrict the metering and will lock and recompose as necessary. This is really no different from how I normally shoot most cameras unless there is a specific reason not too. There is probably no right or wrong way except to say the best way is the method that suits your shooting style.

That makes a lot of sense t me, thanks.

Mostly multi so far with occasional diversions into centre. Haven't used spot at all so far but it's early days.

Back