Fuji Which Fuji X Body?

Looking forward to my 1st foray into Fuji systems. Presently into Olympus M43 system right now, but considering a change.
Already settled on the 18-55 lens but I'm vacillating on which body. I've handled the XT-20 and like most of it's features, but am leaning toward the XE2s or XE3 as I prefer the rangefinder style. I see some great deals on the internet right now. Not considering the high end Fuji bodies as I want to preserve funds for more lenses IF I decide to go the Fuji route.

Based on what you have said, I would say the X-E3. Because that is the lower cost rangefinder which has the latest sensor and AF. The X-E2/s is a great camera capable of amazing images. But I have seen enough Olympus converts who really have trouble getting along with the previous generation Fuji autofocus. Also, with the X-E3 being a newer body, it will get improved several times with firmware updates where the X-E2 is at the end of it's update life.

Based on what you have said, I would say the X-E3. Because that is the lower cost rangefinder which has the latest sensor and AF. The X-E2/s is a great camera capable of amazing images. But I have seen enough Olympus converts who really have trouble getting along with the previous generation Fuji autofocus. Also, with the X-E3 being a newer body, it will get improved several times with firmware updates where the X-E2 is at the end of it's update life.

Great info about updates to the X-E2s. Not concerned too much with AF speed.....mostly a scenic shooter.
What about IQ between the X-E2s and the X-E3? Enough to warrant a $400~ increase?

There is a big difference in dynamic range and detail. I love working with a X-T1, which has the same sensor as the X-E2/s. It is capable of fantastic images. With that said, after spending over a year and a half on the newest sensor, I find that I much prefer the files from it.

New here to this forum, thought I'd throw this out.

I’ve gone the route of switching from M43 to FujiX and here a few of my thoughts. The ergonomics of the camera line suit me well. I currently shoot the XT2, XE2 and most recently picked up an XPro1. As an eyeglass wearer, the viewfinder on the XT2 is like the difference between watching an old crt television and a modern LED widescreen. The first time I looked through it at a store, the viewfinder alone could have sold me on the camera. The improved feel and responsiveness of the camera compared to my former OMD is very noticeable, this is as much of a “pro” camera that I will ever need. The new sensor gives one a wide latitude in files. This is a workhorse of a camera. Weddings - no problem. Sports – no problem. Landscape – no problem.

The XE2 along with the 35/1.4 was my first foray into the Fuji world and got me hooked, with firmware updates it was not quite as responsive as the EPL7 but perfectly usable and the images it captures sold me on the system and I started the process of liquidating my M43 gear of the two bodies I mentioned and lenses (14, 20, 45, 75, 9-18, 40-150). The reference of a less digital look certainly seems to ring true for me.

Right before the holidays I picked up an XPro1 and took it with me on vacation along with just the 35/1.4 to the Bay Area. This is the body that I had the most difficult time adapting to, haven’t figured out why I can’t use the control dial to fine tune shutter speed like I can on the other two bodies and just a bit of getting use to on the OVF/EVF. But the files are something special with a bit of magic thrown in. The colors and tones on Velvia (-1 color), suit my taste perfectly for a variety of genres, especially food. This combo might even replace my RX1 as a travel camera - the X100F, after a short stint, did not.

The primary downside is that everything is bigger and heavier and I have to be more judicious about what I put in my camera bag. The 16 and 90 are two of my favorite lenses along with the 35. But compare the Oly 75 to Fuji 90 and it turns into “I better shoot with it on an outing” vs “ I can take it along just in case”, the same goes for the 40-150 and 55-200 comparison.

Best of luck in your photo gear adventure.

Back