Sigma Which DP Merrill to buy first (?)

macvisual

Veteran
Name
peter
Ok youse Merrill DP shooters, I'm on the verge of buying one of the three Merrills but unsure which to buy first.......DP1/2/3?

Does it really matter which I choose? I shoot quite a bit of landscape and abstract building photography, so not sure which would suit my requirements etc... I'm very new to the Merrills concept coming from a Fuji X background.

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

I've been asking this myself for two years now, Peter, and still haven't pulled the trigger. From what I see many folks end up buying more than one. I'd personally favor the DP2 for landscapes (and people) and the DP1 for buildings but don't want to end up with a private camera zoo.
I guess the usual question 'what focal length do you prefer or use more often' doesn't make that much sense here.
(Regarding my own more 'serious' stuff I'm more torn between a Mamiya RZ67 and a Sony A7R, but I guess the A7R would mean the end of my Fuji X days (and X-Wax headaches). I'd probably shoot that thing in 16MP crop mode most of the time but would have the 36MP when I need them.)
Just my 2...

Last edited:
Not sure either & I'd only like to buy one of them
I think the dp2 & stitch for wide angle buildings - the dp1 has wide distort & I like verticals vertical
The dp3 would be my portrait shooter choice

but what do I know

I would buy the DP3M and stitch for Landscapes ...... the 50mm, (75mm) is so good for many subjects ....... whereas the 19mm, (28mm) is a bit restrictive for other subjects, but just get all three they are now as "cheap" as they are ever going to be

but I never use wide angle lens for landscapes

Have a look at the DPM image thread on here, plus there are a few good vids on the net

Last edited:
Are they all the same in features aside from the FL difference?

Not really, the DP3 lens is somewhat larger out at front. The DP2M and DP1M fairly flat. I believe the DP3 a tad slower focussing.
Some report the DP3 a little better built and many claim the DP3 IQ marginally better than the other two. The thinking is light rays being less bent and hitting the sensor different, resulting in a bit of the pop we used to get with the DP2 (non Merrill)

I have a DP2M from early days and recently bought a DP3 but haven't used it yet.
The DP2M teams very nicely with my Ricoh GR. But I am thinking of going DP1M as well.

To the original poster:
If "I" were buying one first, it would be the DP2M or DP1M.

Back