Which CSC?

We had training by 2 Olympus reps yesterday who were going through the new line up of PEN cameras. The E-P3 is rather wonderful but for the price and the fact it has a superb EVF and swivel screen (Not to mention superb image quality) the G3 can not be beat!

Yeah thanks Andy, great help ;) Mate the G3's size is comparable to the Pentax K-r, I'd like smaller if possible. I'm thinking either EP (prob 3), NEX (prob 7), GF (any's fine but don't much go for touch screens) or NX. Just found out the Samsung has an acccessory EVF. Hmmmm....just the reviews comparing it to the others reckons it IQ is not so good for an APS-C sensor, seriously outdone by the NEX and comparable or bettered by the m4/3s. Unless someone on here with a NX100 can prove them wrong. I hear good things about the NX100's AF though! Oh yeah and the NX100 with either pancake or 20-50 zoom and flash is $399 new from our big Ted's chain stores. WOW!!!

Hope to get to a bricks and mortar to try each of the current models...I agree the in-hand trial is one of the most important....as is the proof on the card back at home that night.

Mate the G3's size is comparable to the Pentax K-r, I'd like smaller if possible.

No it's not! It's like saying that Fiat 500 is comparable in size to BMW X6. I was a Pentax user and my last Pentax DSLR was K-x which is even slightly smaller than K-r. G3 is significantly smaller than K-x, the entire Micro 4/3 system (G3, 3 lenses and flash) occupies the same bag that used to hold Pentax K-x with FA35 alone.

You also have the Samsung NX200 coming out. I tried the Olympus EP3 last weekend and was very impressed by its overall quality. I'd certainly plumb for that if i moved to a CSC.

what about the Ricoh GXR? I understand the M-mount unit is going on sale in October.

No it's not! It's like saying that Fiat 500 is comparable in size to BMW X6. I was a Pentax user and my last Pentax DSLR was K-x which is even slightly smaller than K-r. G3 is significantly smaller than K-x, the entire Micro 4/3 system (G3, 3 lenses and flash) occupies the same bag that used to hold Pentax K-x with FA35 alone.

Fair call. Sounds like another on the trial list when I get to the store then. Thanks Strat!....apologies Andy! :blush:

Choices, choices, choices....my head is spinning.

There is some bargains to be had at present though - NEX prices are diving with the 5N, C3 and 7 on the way - but first I'd love some feedback on a couple of Samsungs.

At present you can choose from either the NX100 with 20-50 and flash or the EX-1, both new and both for exactly the same cost (around $350). Have always been curious about the latter owing to folks shots on here.

So would you choose the slow 30-75mm lens in front of an (seemingly unappreciated) APS-C sensor or a fast 24-75mm lens in front of a 1/1.7"? It's a tough one. Although, my recent search has come up with zero SC members using the NX100. Wonder if my answer's right there? :popcorm2: Then again when I look them up in Flickr neither exists under Samsung in the Camera Finder folders? A few Galaxy S models are there but neither of these dedicated cameras. So maybe my answer is there? :confused:

Maybe have a look at this guy's NX stuff, although there looks to be a significant amount of processing involved. It's from the NX10 & 11 but I guess they're virtually identical under the skin.

Man this guy is good! How did you find him? I fear though that he could create an amazing photo with a Box Brownie that's been dragged behind a bus. A true artist, just check out his website.

Hope to get to a bricks and mortar to try each of the current models...I agree the in-hand trial is one of the most important....as is the proof on the card back at home that night.

Before you jump, I'd be waiting to see what Ricoh does. There has been some rumour, somewhat supported by the Ricoh MD, that once they acquire Pentax (next week) they will be looking at production of a mirrorless camera under the Pentax brand. If its a K-mount... might solve some of your issues.

Man this guy is good! How did you find him? I fear though that he could create an amazing photo with a Box Brownie that's been dragged behind a bus. A true artist, just check out his website.

There was one NX camera listed in Flickr's camera finder:

Flickr: Camera Finder: Samsung: NX10

While it's definitely dangerous to assign the content of an image to the camera it was taken with, what it does prove is that images like that can be taken with a camera like this.

$350 sounds like a great price (I assume you are talking new?). I just don't know how easy they are to on-sell if you decide you don't like it.

Thanks all. Well thank all that's good my search has narrowed somewhat, and mostly due to technology creep. Funny thing is that not in a positive way, but in the reverse direction. Had a play with a few cameras and it seems that my UI requirements (umm...like keep it simple) discounts many of the newer offerings.

NEX - Let's get it straight when I was growing up the Commodore VIC20 and Atari game console were new and breaking news. So trying to get my head around the NEX menu system was like trying to give me an wiiBox controller and leaving me to some game - I assume we've moved on from Donkey Kong :blush:. Not for me.... I want ISO, shutter, aperture and maybe EV comp and AEL at my finger tips....not much to ask is it? I mean that's what the X100 delivers.

G - This movement to touch-screen technology has me beat! I'm sure it's a great idea but if I haven't warmed to it on a necessary evil like my phone (yep still use me one of them candy-bars) I'm struggling to see me using one out in the field doing what I love. So the new generation GFs are out.....as well as a few others trekking that way.

So it's good to have crossed a few off my list, I'm left with the PEN range, GF1 or Samsung NX. Also still toying with the idea of an XZ-1 or EX-1, but a niggling voice tells me that I might regret it in time.

A mate at work (who traded in all his high-end dSLR kit for a GF-1) put it best yesterday:

"Like you I reach for the X100 every time if I can move in/out to frame the subject as I want, and only the GF if I need to use a zoom coz I'm restricted."

...now this is exactly what I'm seeking!

Hmmm....what a shame I can't test a GF1. Prices seem good now, I suppose folks see them as a little long in the tooth now?

Be keen to hear from folks that have held onto old technology ;) like the GF1 who can comment on the UI, as well as folks that have moved beyond the suchlike - especially be curious as to what drove your upgrade.

2012 will be a crazy year for CSC. You have new mirrorless/CSC announcements potentially coming from Canon, Leica, Pentax/Ricoh (larger sensor CSC rumor), Nikon (read rumors of a 2nd, larger sensor system somewhere?) and Fujifilm (m4/3 or ?). In 2012, most likely, we will also see new bodies from all the existing CSC players. We could also see a new NEX lens roadmap next year.

But if you look at what is out there in the near-to-mid term, and are interested in a *system* including native glass, it seems like m4/3 is a good option. You have the prime coverage [Oly 12mm / Pan 14 -- Pan 20 / PL 25 -- Oly 45], specialty lenses, mature bodies (okay maybe a bit too mature on sensors), and new, interesting bodies on the way, like the Panasonic GFX1.

Just my less than 2 cents here as a newb poster (transient from mu-43.com) ... jumped into m4/3 a couple months ago and, even though I am a gear geek and with the barrage of new announcements, I am feeling good through the end of 2012 at a minimum.

Your spot-on krugorg. It seems, much like computing or anything from Apple nowadays, that if you just stand still you'll find yourself left well behind in 3 months. I suppose I am happy to embrace 'old' technology if it 'works'. Again I'm not too impressed with where some manufacturers - mainly Sony and Panasonic - are tracking with their CSC 'innovations'. Controls seem to be disappearing (though I know the NEX-7 seems an exception). Again I hope this progress looks towards Best Practice - and learns lessons from the most keenly anticipated and sought after camera of 2011 - the X100. Give photographers some credit, avail them with the best IQ and UI - simplify the controls and put them at our finger-tips. This is nothing new and was spruiked over 5 years ago with the petition for the DMD (decisive moment digital). I'm not saying the Fuji is perfect, but it comes closest to putting a digital sensor in the body of a consumer 70's rangefinder. :cloud-9-039:....well that's what this photog wants anyway.

Thanks again mate. (y)

Thanks to each and every one of you for all your assistance so far. A special mention to Pavel who has exercised extreme patience with me and my incessant PMs. Well, FINALLY, I think the search is nearing its close.

Look I know none of us likes it when Andy is right, :tomato2: but after all my research I think he just might be onto something :blush: With the new mu43 sensor, the smaller chassis and the bright integrated 1.44M EVF, I think the G3 is looking like a winner! If so, for starters I'll go the 14-42 (though I hear better things of the older 14-45) and 45-200 twin lens kit....which is in my price range. (NB: The Pentax sales are tracking well, less than half sold and have half the money for my intended kit). I'll have another play with the demo model on Tuesday - and see if I can't disable that touch-screen - so unless it feels awful in-hand, or I read something so compelling to the contrary, I think I've found my X100 back-up kit. :yahoo:

I know, I know, the GFX and the Fuji X-ILC are just around the corner, but there never seems to be a way to keep on the crest of the wave....and on paper the G3 like a solid proposition.

Or is it?

Back