Which Camera?

christilou

Legend
Okay, I've had a small break away. I chose to take the Fuji X Pro 1, 18 + 60mm and the X100 with me to Spain over the Easter weekend. The 60mm Fuji takes beautiful pictures but it's too slow for the candid portraits that i like. I've sold off all sorts of bits and pieces and now have two incomplete systems! The trouble is that I don't know what to buy. Over the last year I've discovered that I can pretty much get the look I like for portraits with any system. I sold my Oly 75mm, my K-01 body and now have nothing really suitable for portraits. I don't use wide angle at all unless I'm away on a trip so probably a 50mm is my "normal" focal length.

Having taken the Fuji to Spain, in great light, I decided that it just doesn't work fast enough for me in the focus department. I liked but sold the NEX 5R. It fit perfectly in my hand and was only a few clicks of the thumb to enable manual focus. I missed the vf though. I have a Pentax FA77 and K55 1.8 that I could use on a NEX. I could also re-buy an Oly 75mm 1.8 to use on my EM5 or I could buy a Pentax K30 body for my Pentax lenses. I have a couple of trips coming up so would still need a good system. I just don't know what to do :drama:

If your primary concern is quick focus ... then the answer is already in your hands, the OM-D. I suggest either the O75mm or the P35-100 f/2.8. I know you like shallow DOF, but for me the difference between f/1.8 and f/2.8 usually isn't all that significant, for what I usually shoot. But then I'm not a big portrait type of guy and I can see for portraits how the f/1.8 will nicely come to play. Don't forget the O45mm f/1.8 and O60mm Macro f/2.8, both focus quickly, both are in the 'ideal' portrait focal length range. If you liked the O75mm, then any lens you get other than an O75mm will disappoint you in one fashion or another. The O45mm is very sharp, f/1.8 and half the price of the O75mm ... just feels and looks like a piece of garbage compared to the O75mm.

Gary

PS- I just finished processing a talent show for a local high school and the OM-D delivered on everything I asked of it. Performed at a similar level of my 1D's. The OM-D is flexible and configurable, toss on the grip for heavy shooting, remove the grip to go light. The OM-D is a little jewel.
G

I'm not sure I can give you any sensible advice because my recent fun camera is the iMac photo booth! It's a hoot!

What lenses would you take on your trip with you? If you bought the K30 would you need to buy other lenses suitable for the trip? If you stuck with the EM5 would it only be the Oly 75 you would need to buy? I'm just thinking if you aren't really sold on any camera at the minute then its probably not wise to go to any great expense to build up a camera system that you will sell off again soon.

Hope you had a good time in Spain.

You've been spoilt by the Oly AF :)

The only way out is a DSLR, or the new X100s and cropping in. Or you could learn a new trick and zone focus on the Fuji and take the AF completely out of the equation.

Nothing not to like about the 75mm, I was really pleased with it in actual fact. Interestingly, it would be cheaper here in the UK to buy a K30 body than the Oly 75mm! More dilemma...... I think if I'm really pushed, I feel that somehow the Olympus pics do not have the richness (best description) of the Pentax or for that matter the Fuji X Pro 1.

Are you a jpg shooter? I've shot Nikon, several Olympus bodies, and even the Panasonic LX7 and I'd say I can get my color "feel" out of any of them from RAW. But the jpg engines on these cameras have many differences. I always liked what my daughters G1 did in jpg so I'm going to be interested to see what this G5 I'm getting will do.

I've never shot Fuji or Pentax digital I'm afraid so I can't really compare.

And yes, I will shoot my Oly 75mm on the G5!

I shoot both and decide which I like best for each particular image. It's not the colour because I can change that in either RAW or JPEG it's the actual "feel" from the camera's native output I guess.

I think if I'm really pushed, I feel that somehow the Olympus pics do not have the richness (best description) of the Pentax or for that matter the Fuji X Pro 1.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I just did (yet another) round of churning through the options, Fuji, et al. I know I can get better output from some of the others, but the entire shooting experience, including compactness, ergonomics, adjustability, lens choice, speed and responsiveness, I'm still in the m43 camp for my small camera. I have decided to put serious energy and effort into figuring out better post production on my EPL5 output. I really want to make this work. I see samples all the time that I think are gorgeous, so I think the fault lies with my knowledge of post, rather than the camera itself. Just my experience, anyway.

but then again, I always liked your posted pics, so perhaps you are still several tiers above me, and still finding something missing, which doesn't sound promising for my efforts, lol.

The look and feel of images is SO subjective. I have been a long time even starting to feel I can get what I want out of a photo from a camera -- but that's not always good because when I CAN'T the frustration is more intense, lol!

For what it's worth, I've seen images by you guys (and gals, lol) and I don't see anything "missing" from the standpoint of somebody looking at the image. But inside is something I call "The Wordless Critic" -- which is something in our unconscious mind -- that prods us about things that are right or not in our own work. Unfortunately, it is entirely unable to speak to us and tell us what exactly it is!

I know what you mean. As I go through my shots, somehow something just clicks and I get a surge of enthusiasm for the particular image I'm working on. The satisfaction comes from editing and turning out the final image. Needless to say, this doesn't happen all that often LOL!

I shoot m4/3 (GH3 currently, but did try an OM-D that's up for sale now), Nikon FF gear, an RX1 and Fuji gear. As a shooter of multiple systems I can certainly sympathize with sometimes just not feeling like any one of them ticks all the boxes at the same time :)

So far, the only cameras I've tried that I can 100% rely on for fast and accurate focus are the Nikon DSLRs and the m4/3 gear. In light of that and what you already own the Oly 75mm or 45mm on your OM-D is probably what I'd recommend, same as Gary did above. However, if you're not that thrilled with the OM-D maybe that just doesn't make sense... why shoot with something if it's not satisfying for you? Maybe it makes sense to go the Pentax route, especially if you've used one before and know you like it. Unfortunately I've not shot Pentax so I can't offer any comparisons or direct experience.

That said, 2 things I'll mention on the Fuji based on my experience with the X-E1 and X100/100S:

1) If you haven't already, try AF-C, and focus priority (a.k.a. don't wait for the focus lock, just mash the shutter). The camera will wait until focus is attained before firing the shutter, and it's noticeably faster than half-pressing to lock focus. Also, AF-C mode on the Fujis is *much* faster than AF-S mode for whatever reason. Before you give up on the X-Pro-1 you might try those techniques and see if it helps any.

2) As you probably know, the Fuji 56mm f/1.4 is coming out eventually. That may give better results and/or could be paired with a future X camera body down the line which could bring further AF speed improvements. If you're really hooked into the Fuji otherwise, it may make sense to hang in there a bit longer and/or see what shakes out over the next several months to a year.

There is a difference between what we see online and what you see on your monitor and an even bigger different between online/monitor and a print. I understand when someone online says "Great!" and your monitor says "meah". Pour moi, the dif between OLY and Fuji output is Oly looks more digitalish while Fuji looks more film-esque.

In RAW, I would think/assume that the difference between Oly and Fuji is only a post-processing click/skill-level away. But then the X-Trans is much difference than a Bayer ... so maybe not ...

Gary

There is a difference between what we see online and what you see on your monitor and an even bigger different between online/monitor and a print. I understand when someone online says "Great!" and your monitor says "meah". Pour moi, the dif between OLY and Fuji output is Oly looks more digitalish while Fuji looks more film-esque.

In RAW, I would think/assume that the difference between Oly and Fuji is only a post-processing click/skill-level away. But then the X-Trans is much difference than a Bayer ... so maybe not ...

Gary

One day I have to get me one of them there Fuji's, lol. I really liked Ray's X-Pro 1 but I'd like to see what they are like with my material. Eventually I imagine more used ones will be affordable and I might give them a shot. I can't justify a new system camera for what I do (and what I earn from it, lol).

One day I have to get me one of them there Fuji's, lol. I really liked Ray's X-Pro 1 but I'd like to see what they are like with my material. Eventually I imagine more used ones will be affordable and I might give them a shot. I can't justify a new system camera for what I do (and what I earn from it, lol).

I think a Fuji really fits your style and genre. Much of the impact from your genre comes from the zones, the dynamic range, the details ... all the goodness you can squeeze out of the sensor. The X-Trans is just a bit juicier than the Sony. Nothing you can easily quantify ... so juicier sorta works.

Gary

I think a Fuji really fits your style and genre. Much of the impact from your genre comes from the zones, the dynamic range, the details ... all the goodness you can squeeze out of the sensor. The X-Trans is just a bit juicier than the Sony. Nothing you can easily quantify ... so juicier sorta works.

Gary

That's a GREAT word I think. Much better than some tech term. I may have to rent one now... Dang you, Gary!

And thanks, lol.

I'm going to throw in a vote for the K30. Its an excellent DSLR, not too expensive, weather sealed, and you already have the lenses you need for what you do in the 55 and 77. If you did want AF, you'd be looking at buying the DA*55. The K30 at least as good as the K5, and in some respects, its better, as well as being lighter. If I did not already have the K5, I would get the K30 in a heartbeat.

I love my K30. For a no-hassle walkaround do-it-all, I just use the 18-135 weather sealed lens.....don't worry about rain or snow or changing lenses. When I feel like bringing the kit, those little primes are no bigger than the m43 lenses. AF is GREAT. And the files look pretty film-like (to me). It's what attracted me to the Pentax system.

Like Gary mentioned above, maybe the differences between the files is only one processing click away. The Oly 75mm is a magnificent lens. The Pentax 77mm is equally awesome. You have used both. Which did you prefer? Imagine the files you were getting with your K-01, but now think about framing your shots through a viewfinder, and having a nice grip. Does that sound good to you?

I would go with the Pentax (or stick with the Oly). Good luck with your decision and I can't wait to see Spain!

As much as I like mirrorless and serious compacts, I picked up the (comparatively venerable) Pentax K-5 this weekend and it just worked, with files so buttery smooth that you could spread them on toast. AF was fast, no worries about turning up the ISO, fast adjustment of all the primary settings, etc... And at the end of the day, in a package no bigger than the vaunted Fujis.

So while the K-01 wasn't your cuppa, Christilou, maybe the K-30 or K-5 mated with the FA77 will do what you need, which is to essentially disappear in your hands.

Back