Sony whats your RX1 software/workflow?

I just had a quick look at your earlier thread. I have an RX1 and I've never had a problem with LR. The only time I ever get the kind of aberrations you're talking about are when I've tried to overcook a file. I import my RAWs into LR (5 at the moment) and do some basic adjustments then use either Nik Color or Silver Efex to finish off. I'll then check them in Lightroom and if they don't need any other adjustments I'll export them ready for posting.

thanks chris. i am increasingly perplexed about my LR issues. had it fir years, no problem. started seeing some of this effect over the past year with my old gxr m mount. now seeing it a great deal with the rx1, straight ooc, whether raw or jpeg. nothings changed; just my results. sooooo frustrating!

The simplest test would be for you to try out Lightroom on a different computer. Use your same camera test files, for consistency. That's the only way to rule out computer/software.

well, i just downloaded to Aperture a jpeg picture i took today that exhibited this 'banding' in LR. i fully expected not to see the problem in Aperture, but i did! same problem to the same degree in a different program!

sooooooooo.....now i think we can eliminate LR, no? is it my monitor? could it possibly be the camera?

i'm not definitive on this, but it seemed to happen today only in shots i took directly into a bright sun....

We can all see it, so it's not the monitor

Can you get to a camera store, take photo of salesman, swap card to stores rx1, take same pic, go home, compare

Can you just drag and drop a JPEG file from your card onto your computer so that no "import" settings are being applied by any software and then share that file here? The problem is hard for me to wrap my head around. It's definitely not your monitor since we all see it. But you're saying that you see it in Lightroom AND also other software? Is that AFTER you imported to your computer (and possibly had some default import settings make changes?)

And did you also say in another post that you had seen this happening with your old GXR?

If it's different cameras and they are all showing up the same way, then it must be the software somewhere along the way.

eliot the effect only appears in the sky, either clear in bright sun or highlight clouds. practically, no ive no camera store accessible to me.

Can you just drag and drop a JPEG file from your card onto your computer so that no "import" settings are being applied by any software and then share that file here? The problem is hard for me to wrap my head around. It's definitely not your monitor since we all see it. But you're saying that you see it in Lightroom AND also other software? Is that AFTER you imported to your computer (and possibly had some default import settings make changes?)

And did you also say in another post that you had seen this happening with your old GXR?

If it's different cameras and they are all showing up the same way, then it must be the software somewhere along the way.

thanks luke. i imported the image into LR, quit the external reader, saw the effect, closed out LR, opened up Aperture, reinserted card reader, imported image, saw same effect.

i did notice a very similar effect on my old gxr, but only in clear sky shooting into bright harsh light, not the striation effect in clouds. at the time i attributed it to the particular characteristics of the lens i was using.

i will try just transferring the image to my harddrive without downloading it to any software.

I wonder if any RX1 users could send Tony a couple of raws, taken under the conditions that would produce those aberrations? The only time I've seen concentric banding with the RX1 files is when they are being pushed to the max, like moving to 100 in Shadow recovery. Tony, is this happening with files that you're not pushing very hard, at all?

yeah, sometime ooc. ive reviewd my years worth of photos and i do now see similar effect, though not very often, with every cam i used--gxr, x100, epl5 etc.

also, ive been much more careful about taking raw + jpeg with my rx1, and i actually see a pretty big quality difference ooc in many situations--ones that dont involve this particular effect. i personally have never seen such a raw vs jpeg disparity in seemingly benign or 'somewhat' challenging situatios with any other cam ive used. just the other day, shooting into overcast skies with sun clouded 'bright' spots, my jpeg image had some serious concentric 'blobs' rendering it useless, while the raw was perfect.

so, im coming to the conclusion these are jpeg artifacts. im no longer worried about it being a 'camera' issue because i can find similar in other cams. now i just shoot raw + jpeg and go through a couple extra steps to get files to what i consider a manageable size.

i will update if my raw shots come up grubby.

Back