Film What's the oldest photo you own?

480sparky

Regular
Name
Ken
What is the oldest photo you have in your possession? Not one you have downloaded from a website. One you have taken, or one that has been in the family.

For me, it's a class photo of my grandfather. Born in 1903, he appears about 12 or 14 in this image (3rd from left, in back, behind the girl). So that would make the image from 1915-1917.

2015-12-31%2013.49.41.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have a large box of old family photos. Unfortunately, except for those of my parents and sisters, I can't identify most of them, and there is no-one still alive who can. It's kind of sad, so if you have pictures like these, try to get them identified before it's too late.

I really like this picture. You can ask so many questions. First, of course: Who is this well dressed guy? Why is he standing by that piece of wall? Is the man in the buggy waiting for him?

Manwithbuggy.jpg

I'd like to meet this man. He looks like a real character:

Character.jpg

This one I can identify. It's my father. He was born in 1903, and I'd guess he is in his mid-twenties here, so the picture would be from the late 1920s. He looks a bit like a gangster, but was actually an accountant.

Dad.jpg

BV

I have three Dagerrotypes of family members Walter Upward (my G.G. grandfather) & his parents taken in the mid 1800's I suspect all three were taken at the same time, which would make them before 1858 (when his father died)
Upward-19.jpg

Ayres-901.jpg

Upward-27.jpg

I must try and take some better shots of them.

The portrait of another GGG grandfather is much better preseved but is probably 10 or 20 years younger
Ollard-8.jpg

Last edited:
Back