What is it Wednesday, week 5

Richard

All-Pro
Welcome to a new round of WIIW.

Here's how it's played:

Each member gets one guess. The answer will be revealed on the following Tuesday. The first correct guess has the honour of submitting the image for the next challenge. Sometimes there will be more than one thing in the photo or more than one way to accurately describe what the photo represents. The original poster will be the final judge of who is "most correct".

Here is this week's photo. Have fun guessing...

View attachment 111722mystery object by Richard, on Flickr

Disclosure: this is a crop of the original picture, I also played around with the shadows/highlights/contrast and added some noise to make it look more mysterious. I think that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep 'em coming.

-R

Some interesting suggestions, and some closer than others.

Result to be announced later today (Tuesday), let's say 20:00 British Supper Time for last guesses.

There's still room for improvement ...

-R

Last edited:
OK, time's up and I can reveal that this week's mystery object is the bottom of a ceramic casserole (cooking pot) lid. The circular pattern is formed by a series of little bumps on the internal surface of the lid. Their purpose is to encourage condensing steam to fall out evenly across whatever you're cooking in the pot.

View attachment 111937cooking pot lid by Richard, on Flickr

Nobody guessed it exactly right, but I think Kyle was closest with "the bottom of some cast-iron cookware" so I declare him the winner.

-R

Last edited:
I KNEW I had seen that pattern somewhere, and all my lousy brain would conjure up was "cookware, possibly cast iron." Close enough!

I'm digging up a fresh mystery image now. And I'll be out of town til THURSDAY next week, so this one will have to go a day long.

Back