What is it Wednesday........ week 16

christilou

Legend
Having scoured my photo library I had to resort to a "fresh" photo! Guess what it is...... winner gets to submit next week's offering.

DSC00033-Edit.jpg

I also forgot to mention that I think someone may be tracking their cartridge too light. When I'm setting up a turntable these days, it seems like most cartridges ask for 1.5 - 2.2 g of tracking force. Just check with the cartridge manufacturers suggestion. And while it may seem intuitive that tracking lighter causes less wear on your records than tracking heavier, imagine for a moment a scenario where a dumptruck with a VERY full load is driving straight down a street. Now imagine a slightly less full truck losing contact with the road and bouncing down the street. Just my 2 cents.

Cant remember the last time we used this set up. It's up in our playroom with all the guitars and the electric organ! I already had this deck when we got married 30 years ago, with Celestian speakers and a Sony amp. Still plays nice and loud in our room, it has a huge vaulted ceiling but it wobbles because the floor is wood! We went through all our records a few years ago and just kept our favourites. I have a green Peter Green LP, remember those coloured ones?

We went through all our records a few years ago and just kept our favourites. I have a green Peter Green LP, remember those coloured ones?

guys of a certain age on this side of the pond get all gooey-eyed when they hear of Peter Green LPs. One really needed to be hanging out at the record shop and eyeing up the British imports over here or they would have totally MISSED Peter Green altogether.

This thread has caused me to go through my storage, dust off my records and turntable (which happened to be a Dual CS505-4), replace the belt, order a new stylus and a phone amplifier, and having tons of fun going through my old treasures. In the last two decades I did buy most of my favorites again in the form of CDs or digital files, but nothing beats having the record skip a beat at precisely the point I remember from yesteryear when I was playing records in stead of doing homework. I also ordered a few new records, to see what the hype is all about.

Back