Leica What have you bought lately

This next item is a good support for larger cameras, but not good in even a light wind. However, it folds flat and will go anywhere a nail file can go:
image.png

This next item is better and may work OK in a light wind, but is more bulky, and you have to be sure to avoid the plastic thread version:
image.png

I sold my Fuji kit and picked up a 20mm f1.7 Panasonic for my E-M5, plus the small and useful14-42mm EZ Olympus. Oh! and another Stylus 1 - one of the handiest point and shoots I've owned - since I gave mine away in Laos. Still lusting for the X type 113 and the 12-40 M. Zuiko. They'll have to wait a bit, though. I'm not willing to part with my X1.

I sold my Fuji kit and picked up a 20mm f1.7 Panasonic for my E-M5, plus the small and useful14-42mm EZ Olympus. Oh! and another Stylus 1 - one of the handiest point and shoots I've owned - since I gave mine away in Laos. Still lusting for the X type 113 and the 12-40 M. Zuiko. They'll have to wait a bit, though. I'm not willing to part with my X1.

I've been hanging on to a 18709 carry case for the X1/X2 for a few years, in case anyone wants it.

Do you think this Manfrotto would be better than one of the MePhoto models?

The most comparable MePhoto at $150 (and probably others too) seem to include the flat plate that you can leave attached to the camera, which is not included with the $60 Manfrotto.

The Manfrotto has the tabs on the legs where the MePhoto has the twist things, which are really a fright in cold weather.

The MePhoto legs seem to splay very wide from what I see, but I don't know whether my Manfrotto can do that, for a really low to the ground use.

The comparable MeFoto weighs 2.6 lb where the Manfrotto weighs 2 lb.

Last edited:
I like the price of the monopod. Think it will be good for a D810 with the 70-200VR II ? I just need that extra little support for video.

I like the price of the monopod. Think it will be good for a D810 with the 70-200VR II ? I just need that extra little support for video.

I extended the 4 leg sections to full height and placed the foot on the floor, and flexed the monopod to see how it would react with a fairly heavy camera. I don't see a problem unless you were to try rapid sideways movements which would cause the monopod to flex too much, and not have a steady picture. That said though, a D810 and that lens would be better served by a stronger monopod.

Just returned the Leica Tri-Elmar after getting it. There were some very very minor imperfection inside the lens. Due to my OCD, I know I will not be happy with it.

On the other hand, I just purchased an Induro CM14 Carbon 8X CM-Series 4-Section Monopod. Can't wait to try it out. Got it via Ebay for $50.00 new. I was quite surprise at the price compare to what I paid for the Gitzo traveller tripod.

12809737_980220605359630_1843353584551810045_n.jpg

A camera bag, in the form of a 1950s French Army magazine bag for the FM 24/29. Leather lined, canvas covered, internally divided into 4 pockets that each can hold a Leica LTM with the lens collapsed.

I got the idea from someone over at Rangefinderforum.

If you browse for "Porte Chargeur 24/29" on the well-known auction site they do pop up. Cheapest I've seen is 17 Euro, though shipping overseas might not be worth it.
If this one is to my liking, I might go for the smaller 2-compartment version of this bag as well.

please be kind, but for the last month ive been shooting my new weatherproof 20mp pentax ks2, weatherproof da ltd 20-40/2.8 zoom and fa ltd 77/1.8 portrait lens. all had for a total of under $1500. i am enjoying the heck out of them, and am truly amazed at the results im getting.

I got the idea from someone over at Rangefinderforum.

If you browse for "Porte Chargeur 24/29" on the well-known auction site they do pop up. Cheapest I've seen is 17 Euro, though shipping overseas might not be worth it.
If this one is to my liking, I might go for the smaller 2-compartment version of this bag as well.
c'est bien

ok....here's some stuff. I relatively recent M3 from Youxin. A J8 from Latvia. Finally a canon 135 3.5, cosmetically just about mint.
20160331_134517.jpg

I just bought a near-mint Panasonic CF-50 with 1600x1200 graphics and a second 60GByte drive, total $100. Formatting the second drive as FAT-32 and loading WIN98se on it, will also load XP to Dual-Boot. DOS has never been faster...

I also have my custom DNG processor for it, runs under Phar-Lap extended DOS.

you bought a defunct Panasonic toughbook?....running DOS? I have two older Dell and one LG monitor running in 1600x1200 portrait for viewing MRI and CT.

The Panasonic CF-50 is one of the best made Laptops that I've ever seen. Will run the development environment for writing my code for embedded processors. I've got three Micron Trek-2's that are 18 years old, original batteries still hold full charges. Will be running long after this quad-I7 that I use for Internet surfing and Lightroom gives in. But... I get paid to use the DOS computers..

Back