Leica What have you bought lately

VINCETAN

Top Veteran
So many great deals out there lately. Definitely a bubble burst in the price of photographic equipment. What used to command a premium can now be had for a great discount. Lens like the 50mm APO-Summicron are under $6K, some even less. For older lens like the 90mm APO or 28mm Summicron ASPH, one can pick them up at close to half the MSRP. I feel like I am a kid in the candy store everytime I check the price around the web. So what have you purchased lately? Something vintage? Something new?

Me, I just got a 90mm Summicron-R E55 pre-APO. I am really enjoying my D810 with the converted Leica R lenses so figure why not add to it :)

So many great deals out there lately. Definitely a bubble burst in the price of photographic equipment. What used to command a premium can now be had for a great discount. Lens like the 50mm APO-Summicron are under $6K, some even less. For older lens like the 90mm APO or 28mm Summicron ASPH, one can pick them up at close to half the MSRP. I feel like I am a kid in the candy store everytime I check the price around the web. So what have you purchased lately? Something vintage? Something new?

Me, I just got a 90mm Summicron-R E55 pre-APO. I am really enjoying my D810 with the converted Leica R lenses so figure why not add to it :)

Sounds like a nice acquisition. Here in the UK, good quality gear still commands top prices - at least so far.

I've been doing a lot of trading and changing around lately - getting away from big, lumpy SLR / DSLR as I'm concentrating mostly on travel and street shooting. Most recent acquisitions are:

1. Leica M(240) and M7 + 28/f2.8 and 35, 50 and 90 Summicrons
2. Rolleiflex T (Grey)

I shoot Hasselblads (500c/m and 503cx) most for MF and I have an MPP MkVIII (awaiting the summer for first use) for 4x5.

I'd have to agree with Vince, as I've also noticed a reduction in price the second hand market. A few weeks ago I saw a 75mm APO Summicron for $2K (USD), by the time I scraped up enough money it was sold. However I was able to pick up a certified used (by Leica) BP M9 for a really good deal, it recently has it's sensor replaced and came with a one year manufacture's warranty. This M9 came directly from Leica to the dealer.

I picked up some FP 100C instant film for my Land 250 camera, plus a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 in M 4/3 mount? My bought items sound less exotic than an APO Summicron, but this is what I bought recently.

Raid, I recently just heard a story about Edwind Land and his Land camera (Polaroid) Fascinating story of how he was able to invent that camera during his vacation.

As for the next purchase, I am hoping to score a Tri-Elmar WATE still. Missed out on one recently by Popflash at $3100 with the finder. I kept telling myself that the piece of equipment is the last piece for a while but the while seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

I would LOVE to get such a lens too, Vince. I thought it costs much more money than $3100.

Fuji announced that the film for Land camera will not be produced anymore, which annoyed many users of such cameras all over the world. I managed to get 16 packs (10 frames each) from B&H before the price doubled and before there was no such film left.

As for the next purchase, I am hoping to score a Tri-Elmar WATE still. Missed out on one recently by Popflash at $3100 with the finder. I kept telling myself that the piece of equipment is the last piece for a while but the while seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

The Leica Store in Miami has a WATE for $3K, the listing is so new that the description isn't even posted yet or a picture. You may want to call them for details, if your lucky it may include the finder.

Love to make that call, but since I just purchased the 90, I have to recover a bit or sell something else first. The good thing is, they seem to get lower and lower and lower.

Raid, the used price of the Tri-Elmar has dropped quite a bit lately. IMHO, the continuous drop in price is due the following:

1. Partly, the global economy is not as good
2. Pricing bubble burst for the high end camera
3. I like to think that Sony/Zeiss has a lot to do with killing the price of Leica. I think the IQ of the Sony camera together with the Zeiss lens is so good, the value proposition of Leica is diminishing for most of the consumer. There still will be a few Leica fan(boy/girl) me included that will continue to go with Leica. However, it is getting hard to justify their cost. Plus as I age, and the eye sight is not as good anymore, AF does come in handy.

Euh....
Kodak Folding Pocket camera, Kodak Vest Pocket, Contax II camera with 50/2 Sonnar, Revue 3, Flexameter waist level viewfinder, Watson 100 bulk film loader, US Navy Magazine Cine-Kodak with 3 magazines, reproduction data-tag for military Graflex Anniversary Speed Graphic, Voigtländer Inos II, Merkel-Tharandt Metharis plate camera, Gevaert Gevabox II with tripod, 2,8cm f/6.3 Hektor lens, TUVOO 2,8cm adapter for the VIOOH viewfinder, Kodak Graphic No.0, a load of film and developer from Macodirect and some FP-100c from FotoImpex.

I think that just about covers it...

I traded in my 'Q' for a X-U, which I'm happy with. I'm currently planning to get the Nikon DL18-50 when it's available, supposedly in June. Unless there's another small-ish camera with a built-in lens that will do 18 mm or wider, announced in the meantime.

Just added a Tri-Elmar WATE to my list. Should be getting it next week. When will this insanity ever end.

My justification, I am trading in my SF-58 and the Multi-function grip. So over all, more mass is being sold therefore I am actually reducing what I got.

Raid, I am afraid that it will not bring enough. Leica Miami will give you 80% market value but since the market value of M is tanking, it is 80% of not much. I figure, since I don't really use them that much, getting 80% of close to nothing is better than 80% of nothing :)

In someways, I still like the SF58 because of the High Speed Sync with the M. Really great for fill flash in daylight. But it is too big to carry it around all the time. As for the grip, maybe I will get it again later. I do like the idea of of having the GPS coordinate embedded in the picture.

I am told by my friend the owner of OC camera, that the market is tanking. It's not tanking enough for me to procure a Hasselblad 501 and lens and backs for the price I'd like to pay. I could buy a Bronica very cheaply. But why go to the trouble of not getting what you really want in a downish market? My owner friend is making a go of it with the Sony and Fuji lineup. At the end of last year, I bought a Nikon refurbishe D7100 for 439.00 so I could use my 50 1.2 AIS on a digicam. Can't beat that deal very easily. Yes, also bought an M3 from Youxin and finally from the semi sublime to the ridiculous, a MS optical Sonnetar and a J8.(35$). I can't justify an M9 for a lot of reasons including the ability to buy an A7II for maybe less than 1200$ that would autofocus and auto expose my Contax G2 lenses and autofocus my M lenses, if wanted to. Brian does not agree.

Here are some photos of small camera supports I've purchased recently, with some explanation. I hope there is no conflict with these iPad screen grabs:

This first item is a really nice tripod for cameras up to at least 3 lbs. It replaced my $400 Benro, and I like this one better (also came with a better carry bag).
image.png

This next item is an equally nice monopod:
image.png

This tiny tripod really does go anywhere, but is suitable only for pocket cameras and phones - the disadvantage is this tripod doesn't allow shooting with the camera in vertical mode:
image.png

Last edited:
Back