Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Voigtlander 40mm f2 arrived Saturday :)
Loaded some Portra 160 to test it out.

Attachments

• 20170708_161810-01.jpeg
    20170708_161810-01.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 90
As per my Zorki 4 thread - I have bought (and returned as defective) a Fed 4; ordered a Smena 8M and Lubitel 166U; and also ordered various rolls of film. Namely some Lomography Colour 400 in 35mm; FP4+, Rollei Retro 400S and Portra 160 in 120.

I ordered a Voigtlander hood and cap last week, package arrived Saturday. They sent me the entire lens kit, not bad for a 90% discount :)

Called them and mailed the lens back this morning. It was sure tempting :)

A Canon A1 with 50mm lens and 135mm lens, 4 rolls of BW film: Kentmere 100, Kentmere 400, Arista EDU ULTRA 100 and Fuji Neopan acros. I will have have to see which one I like best :).

I bid on a Voigtländer Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 Pancake for M-mount - and won :) I'm almost done with my first film; framing is adventures - I use a "borrowed" viewfinder (from the Lomo'Instant Wide - the 21mm screw-in lens comes with its own viewfinder) to get an idea of how to frame.

M.

I like those little Nikons. Might have to start looking around for one.
About halfway through roll #1, I forgot how noisy these buggers were :)

The L35AF gets a hefty price, This model is much cheaper, should still get nice results with the 35mm f2. We'll see.

After the purchase of the Bronica S2A, that I've only posted on a different thread, I've also bought a Nikkor 35-70 f/3.3-4.5 AF-D to use on my (3x) F70 and (2x) F80. It is a nice simple lens, good construction and relatively fast, made in Japan.

This is a pretty low value purchase these days, but shouldn't be very expensive back in the days (late 1990's to mid 2000's) I only used the F70 with a very low spec and construction (but decent results) 35-80 f/4-5.6. Left me wondering why I never looked into a different lens to use with the camera. Not so much internet browsing then ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
After the purchase of the Bronica S2A, that I've only posted on a different thread, I've also bought a Nikkor 35-70 f/3.3-4.5 AF-D to use on my (3x) F70 and (2x) F80. It is a nice simple lens, good construction and relatively fast, made in Japan.

This is a pretty low value purchase this days, but shouldn't be very expensive back in the days (late 1990's to mid 2000's) I only used the F70 with a very low spec and construction (but decent results) 35-80 f/4-5.6. Left me wondering why I never looked into a different lens to use with the camera. Not so much internet browsing then ;)
That Nikon zoom was my first SLR lens :) It doesn't get a lot of praise online, but I really liked it for the reasons you described: compact, well enough built and actually decent image quality (as you will see, most probably). I still have the MF version of that lens around somewhere - but I prefer primes on my MF bodies (though I am quite fond of a very quirky lens, the 28-50mm f/3.5 - it's a right dinosaur, but it's compact, and if you stop it down a bit, it's a nice performer).

And the F80 is a really impressive camera - I own its predecessor, the F-801s (the F70 is sometimes said to be its precursor, but it's one step below in the line-up - it's the successor of the nicely spec'd, but somewhat flawed/flimsy F-601). These semi-pro bodies were extremely well made and thought out. You can even use G lenses with this thing ... AF is almost modern (tracking!), and you can customise it to your heart's content; it's a bit sad that it was the body that started the limit of 1/4000'' for semi-pro cameras, though. A mechanical 1/8000'' is still the only thing my D750 is lacking ...

Was just looking up prices online - the F80 and F100 still fetch a hefty premium; you got yourself quite a bit of a treat there ...

M.

Was just looking up prices online - the F80 and F100 still fetch a hefty premium; you got yourself quite a bit of a treat there ...

I keep contemplating an F5 when they show up for sale, but apparently the F100 I already have is pretty much 95% of the functionality in a much handier and cheaper package. An F6 on the other hand, doesn't appear to have a lower-cost semi-pro equivalent and they are still very pricey.

I keep contemplating an F5 when they show up for sale, but apparently the F100 I already have is pretty much 95% of the functionality in a much handier and cheaper package. An F6 on the other hand, doesn't appear to have a lower-cost semi-pro equivalent and they are still very pricey.
The F6 is extremely desirable, and it's priced accordingly. The F5 is a huge hulk of a camera - great in its way, but even heavier than the gripped F4 IIRC ... I'd gladly stick with an F100 instead. In fact, I'll stick with the F-801s - no match for the F90*, F80 and F100 (Nikon's numbering scheme was never really convincing ;)), but a very solid offering. And if I had a F100, I'd hold on to it with more than one hand :2thumbs:

M.

The F6 is extremely desirable, and it's priced accordingly.

What I find quite interesting is that the pro line of AF film Canons (single digit EOS I believe) don't seem to have held their price in the same way as the Nikons, but are apparently quite technically advanced.
<Mental note to self.... resist the temptation to buy into another yet another camera system...>

M.

The F80 I have today with me costed my GBP 20,50 + posting in May 2016 and included an FG (that was actually the main reason of the purchase)! The thing is, it was/is sticky, that was the reason for the lower price and some can be found cheaper on-line due to this. I've cleaned most of it, with a tooth brush and sensor cleaning liquid. Took me well over 1 hour for sure (don't recall exactly) and had trouble in some tighter areas. Still, I use both cameras with no problem at all.

Okay, you've got to believe me that I wasn't planning this - actually, apart from a few replacements and spares, I wasn't intending any major acquistion for the time being. And in a way, this isn't one - because I got this for way less money than it's worth, even if the set is missing some (minor) parts:
contax_s2_tessar.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a Contax S2 Titan "60 Years" anniversary edition including the T* coated Carl Zeiss Tessar; I have the original box and even the strap (minus some plastic loops), though strangely (or maybe unavoidably), the lens cap is missing.

The S2 was Kyocera's answer to the Nikon FM2 - 1/4000s, fully mechanical, bright, uncluttered viewfinder (in this case, even with a magnifier thrown in!), sophisticated minimalism at its most refined. Now, don't get me wrong, this is no semi-pro body like the FM2 (no winder, no aperture display in the viewfinder), but simply a very usable, very well made camera *in near mint condition* (the only usage marks are slight aberrations on the bottom).

Now, some of you may already know that I'm a total Tessar nut - I'm inclined to pay too much (and keep spending until it's fully satisfactory) if Tessars are involved. Well, I didn't have to in this case: I got the whole set for a price that makes the fantastic camera appear like a slightly expensive rear cap for the lens - less than $300 according to today's exchange rate! And as for the lens, this is the last true Tessar produced; it's the original formula in a suitably modern incarnation, not some re-branding of some generic lens (like Sony's current "Tessars" that are anything but ...). It's the real deal. This is the lens that Nikon's famous 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P pancake was modeled after!

I'll let you guys see the results once they're in; this camera will be used, not locked away (it's probable that it has been displayed - that explains the condition as well as the fact that the original cap is missing - it's usually removed to show off the lens). The only precaution I'll take is that I'll actually put a nice strap (not the original) on this gem - no careless handling allowed in this case.

M.

Back