Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

@Cerita Developing B&W at home isn't that big a deal - I was wary about it, but once I tried it, it's really not that big a deal, and in many ways, hugely rewarding. I'd take a course and get some gear - it's not that expensive, nor is it a big issue in terms of handling and environmental concerns (you can get completely degradable development solutions, anyway). It's quite easy to tweak the results, too - and the resources on the 'net are great (the Massive Dev Chart is the most famous collection of reliable information I've come across, but there are others that are useful as well).

M.

@Cerita Developing B&W at home isn't that big a deal - I was wary about it, but once I tried it, it's really not that big a deal, and in many ways, hugely rewarding. I'd take a course and get some gear - it's not that expensive, nor is it a big issue in terms of handling and environmental concerns (you can get completely degradable development solutions, anyway). It's quite easy to tweak the results, too - and the resources on the 'net are great (the Massive Dev Chart is the most famous collection of reliable information I've come across, but there are others that are useful as well).

M.

Thanks for the encouragement Matt. I really should just do it, as I mentioned, I have not been happy with the labs I have been using :(. I did make a start and bought a tank for 35mm, it is just a matter of taking that first step. I am being rather strange about this, as I am not one to shy away from trying new things :). Thanks again!

I just bought some FP100C, expensive and I was only allowed to buy two boxes! I know it's getting rarer by the day, but the price gouging is unbelievable! I was told they have quite a few boxes in stock, so why the limit I wonder.

I also got a vintage Sekonic Autolumi 68 light meter, apparently working and very accurate, we'll see. I am waiting for a sale on a modern light meter.

Got the 2 rolls from the Bronica back from the lab. One fresh Ektar and one 1978 Ektachrome. Here are one shot from each, taken on the same day at the same London Belgrave Square Classic Car Show (couple of weeks ago).
15710009.jpg
28860008.jpg

Wow, the fresh Ektar photo looks lovely! I feel hopeful for the new emulsion coming up, let's hope the colours are as nice as in your first photo.

Last edited:
My Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta has arrived - I already put a first film through it. It's a 531/16 - last model, but without the lightmeter (those are completely unreliable anyway - I have an old Gossen Sixtino that works nicely). Tessar 75mm f/3.5 - not the f/2.8 of previous models, but in very nice condition, and the camera is slick and light and handles very nicely. It needs a CLA - but only a quick one, shutter sticks at 1s (and sometimes below 1/30s), but works fine for faster shutter speeds, and focusing could be smoother. The shutter is a Synchro Compur with modern speeds, no less (the older models had the older scale and went up to 1/400s - this does 1/500s). Very quiet shutter, too - even less obvious than the Prontor SV I know from my Nettar 518/16, and frankly, one of the least audible ones I've ever encountered, very slick indeed (I own an earlier variant of that shutter, and it clonks like a mallet hitting steel).

Here's an image found on Flickr (not mine):
2663733832_e713423302_z.jpg

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III (531/16)
by Alfred on Flickr

This totally makes up for the issues I had with its mighty predecessor, the 532/16 (the numbering scheme is confusing, to say the least): a mighty brick of a camera, cumbersome to handle, with a hugely complicated image counter - that, of course, had failed and rendered the camera more or less useless. I'll have that one CLA'd/repaired as well, but my hopes aren't too high. If the old beast can be fixed, however, I'll also have a 80mm f/2.8 Tessar to play with - the most famed variant of that lens. We'll have to see, though ... But the freshly acquired model will be my first choice - it's a lot(!) more fun to shoot.

M.

Last edited:
I now love these folding cameras, what a beauty you have! I love my Mamiya 6 Automat, and I am hoping to buy another in great condition to have a backup.
Thanks a lot! Though as a matter of fact, I do envy you your Mamiya - there's a reason why it's one of the most sought-after cameras of that class. But I'll admit that the 531/16 is a handsome piece of kit, and I do love the handling.

In fact, I own only two MF cameras that handle equally well or nicer; the Mamiya 6 MF (the modern version!) is a given, but it's also considerably bigger and heavier. The other one is the Voigtländer Bessa RF - I think it's one of the best 6x9 cameras ever made, in spite of other models being rated higher by others. It's a coupled rangefinder as well, and so elegantly executed that I can forgive it the (very) few quirks (mostly induced by ways of doing things in times past, anyway). The Super Ikonta 531/16, however, marks the pinnacle of compact German built 6x6 rangefinders in my view - it's probably not "the best" 6x6 rangefinder of that era, but it's the most efficient I have used yet (and I have handled a couple - and still own a few ...). And did I mention it's compact? Here it is to its Nettar 518/16 sibling (no rangefinder, triplet instead of high-class lens) - it's practically *the same size* (fits into the same ever-ready case!)!

_1010252.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like it ...

M.

Thanks a lot! Though as a matter of fact, I do envy you your Mamiya - there's a reason why it's one of the most sought-after cameras of that class. But I'll admit that the 531/16 is a handsome piece of kit, and I do love the handling.

In fact, I own only two MF cameras that handle equally well or nicer; the Mamiya 6 MF (the modern version!) is a given, but it's also considerably bigger and heavier. The other one is the Voigtländer Bessa RF - I think it's one of the best 6x9 cameras ever made, in spite of other models being rated higher by others. It's a coupled rangefinder as well, and so elegantly executed that I can forgive it the (very) few quirks (mostly induced by ways of doing things in times past, anyway). The Super Ikonta 531/16, however, marks the pinnacle of compact German built 6x6 rangefinders in my view - it's probably not "the best" 6x6 rangefinder of that era, but it's the most efficient I have used yet (and I have handled a couple - and still own a few ...). And did I mention it's compact? Here it is to its Nettar 518/16 sibling (no rangefinder, triplet instead of high-class lens) - it's practically *the same size* (fits into the same ever-ready case!)!

View attachment 184337

I like it ...

M.

Wow, very nice! The most loved feature for me with the Mamiya is the back focus wheel, it makes so much sense (to me anyways)! Well, I will have to keep my eye out for an Ikonta 531/16. I looked at some Nettars in vintage shop recently but they needed some serious CLA, which is not easy to have done here, as I don't know anyone who works on old cameras.

Wow, very nice! The most loved feature for me with the Mamiya is the back focus wheel, it makes so much sense (to me anyways)! Well, I will have to keep my eye out for an Ikonta 531/16. I looked at some Nettars in vintage shop recently but they needed some serious CLA, which is not easy to have done here, as I don't know anyone who works on old cameras.
Well, the Super Ikonta goes for about three times the price as a Nettar in equally good shape - if you have to have it CLA'd anyway, it makes sense to buy the more expensive camera in the first place, because it's more worth the extra money you put in to get it working perfectly. There *are* people in North America who do these jobs - I'm not aware of anyone in Canada, but a good service provides you with a fully working camera for years to come! If everything else fails, check out Certo6 – Vintage Folding Cameras <- Jurgen is renowned for the quality of his work.

Anyway, I have to say that in spite of the praise I read for earlier models (which made me buy one - the 532/16, the grandmother of the 531/16 - yes, it's confusing), I'm really pleased with the 531/16. Specifically, I'm actually quite happy with the configuration and quality of the Synchro Compur in my camera - it's in rather good condition, not as dried up as others I've used, and it's not EV based (so it doesn't have coupled shutter/aperture controls - which only makes sense with a built-in lightmeter, I guess).

The Nettars have one thing going for them: The Pronto (cheapo - 1/25 to 1/200) or Prontor shutters most of them use are ridiculously reliable compared to the more sophisticated, but also more delicate Compur models; the Novar Anastigmat lenses you usually get are softer than the Tessars, but still quite nice, and with a distinct rendering that can be very pleasing. So if you find a Nettar in good working order and don't have to pay a lot, they can make wonderful companion cameras you don't have to worry about (much). I have a couple, and even the post-war 515/2 in the second cheapest configuration (three-speed Vario shutter, f/6.3 Novar lens) is a fun tool - in good light, that is.

But I would actually advise against Tessar Nettars - it's a bit counter-intuitive to get a famously sharp lens, yet to have to guess the focus distance. Better go all in in this case and get a Super Ikonta; from the 530 onwards, they're desirable cameras, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. The models I'd go for are (in descending order) the 531/16, the 534/16 (with built-in meter - failure-prone, but glorious if you get a working one and can live with the coupled settings) and the almighty 532/16 - the latter is over-engineered to the point of becoming a little cumbersome, but it's enormously impressive and built like a tank.

M.

Last edited:
Well, the Super Ikonta goes for about three times the price as a Nettar in equally good shape - if you have to have it CLA'd anyway, it makes sense to buy the more expensive camera in the first place, because it's more worth the extra money you put in to get it working perfectly. There *are* people in North America who do these jobs - I'm not aware of anyone in Canada, but a good service provides you with a fully working camera for years to come! If everything else fails, check out Certo6 – Vintage Folding Cameras <- Jurgen is renowned for the quality of his work.

Anyway, I have to say that in spite of the praise I read for earlier models (which made me buy one - the 532/16, the grandmother of the 531/16 - yes, it's confusing), I'm really pleased with the 531/16. Specifically, I'm actually quite happy with the configuration and quality of the Synchro Compur in my camera - it's in rather good condition, not as dried up as others I've used, and it's not EV based (so it doesn't have coupled shutter/aperture controls - which only makes sense with a built-in lightmeter, I guess).

The Nettars have one thing going for them: The Pronto (cheapo - 1/25 to 1/200) or Prontor shutters most of them use are ridiculously reliable compared to the more sophisticated, but also more delicate Compur models; the Novar Anastigmat lenses you usually get are softer than the Tessars, but still quite nice, and with a distinct rendering that can be very pleasing. So if you find a Nettar in good working order and don't have to pay a lot, they can make wonderful companion cameras you don't have to worry about (much). I have a couple, and even the post-war 515/2 in the second cheapest configuration (three-speed Vario shutter, f/6.3 Novar lens) is a fun tool - in good light, that is.

But I would actually advise against Tessar Nettars - it's a bit counter-intuitive to get a famously sharp lens, yet to have to guess the focus distance. Better go all in in this case and get a Super Ikonta; from the 530 onwards, they're desirable cameras, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. The models I'd go for are (in descending order) the 531/16, the 534/16 (with built-in meter - failure-prone, but glorious if you get a working one and can live with the coupled settings) and the almighty 532/16 - the latter is over-engineered to the point of becoming a little cumbersome, but it's enormously impressive and built like a tank.

M.

Thank Matt, I will look out for a 532/16, as I have always been curious about the Ikonta cameras.

My Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta has arrived - I already put a first film through it. It's a 531/16 - last model, but without the lightmeter (those are completely unreliable anyway - I have an old Gossen Sixtino that works nicely). Tessar 75mm f/3.5 - not the f/2.8 of previous models, but in very nice condition, and the camera is slick and light and handles very nicely. It needs a CLA - but only a quick one, shutter sticks at 1s (and sometimes below 1/30s), but works fine for faster shutter speeds, and focusing could be smoother. The shutter is a Synchro Compur with modern speeds, no less (the older models had the older scale and went up to 1/400s - this does 1/500s). Very quiet shutter, too - even less obvious than the Prontor SV I know from my Nettar 518/16, and frankly, one of the least audible ones I've ever encountered, very slick indeed (I own an earlier variant of that shutter, and it clonks like a mallet hitting steel).

Here's an image found on Flickr (not mine):
View attachment 184329
Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III (531/16) by Alfred on Flickr

This totally makes up for the issues I had with its mighty predecessor, the 532/16 (the numbering scheme is confusing, to say the least): a mighty brick of a camera, cumbersome to handle, with a hugely complicated image counter - that, of course, had failed and rendered the camera more or less useless. I'll have that one CLA'd/repaired as well, but my hopes aren't too high. If the old beast can be fixed, however, I'll also have a 80mm f/2.8 Tessar to play with - the most famed variant of that lens. We'll have to see, though ... But the freshly acquired model will be my first choice - it's a lot(!) more fun to shoot.

M.

Great purchase! I have the 531 on my eB@y alerts but I’m yet to find one that makes me push the button.

Concerning my latest purchases, bought another Revue 400SE that now is selling for prices that better reflect the amazing quality of the camera (the first one I bought costed me 16 Eur...) and also another Rollei 35S, this time in black. After testing with a cheaper film, will be loading the Revue with Portra and the Rollei with Ektar.

Looking into the GA 645 Zi to satisfy my Medium Format urge. Any advice , I need the auto focus to help out old eyes. I have slowly thinned out my 35 MF kits to where I only have the T90 . It and the OM2n had the best viewfinders, but father time marches on.

Looking into the GA 645 Zi to satisfy my Medium Format urge. Any advice , I need the auto focus to help out old eyes. I have slowly thinned out my 35 MF kits to where I only have the T90 . It and the OM2n had the best viewfinders, but father time marches on.

Tim, I have the GA645Zi, I really like this camera, it's an AF rangefinder, zooms and takes very good pictures. There is one major thing to look out for, the back LCD panel can be a problem so look for one that works properly, mine is failing and I have no idea how to get it repaired. From what I read, it has to do with a poor design decision where the LCD ribbon cable goes past the back door hinge, which eventually dents the not-so-flexible ribbon :(. Apparently, making sure the back door is not opened fully to 180 degrees does save the cable from damage, having it open at a 90 degree angle is safest. What a shame, as the camera is really quite a lovely MF point and shoot, that can also be used in aperture and shutter priority, however, the LCD panel on back is key to choosing all these settings, so it has to be in working order.

Caden%202-L.jpg
Ok , I'll admit I have a problem with bags but this one caught my eye for a light weight carry . It will hold a Camera with lens and two additional lens plus odds and ends and tripod. If it's a comfortable sling it will be great.

Back