Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Ok, I got this Mamiya 6, I believe the model is the Automat, it's in excellent condition for it's age! I got it today, and embarrassingly for the life of me, I can't seem to fire the shutter. Does anyone know if it's of those cameras where you have to film in it first? I can't seem to find a manual online or a video of this particular model. The seller assured me that everything works, and I have bought from this seller before. Any thoughts?

View attachment 183460

E4DC281C-B393-4AEE-B998-289122CE8864.jpeg
FED 3B. Everything works except the flash which is intermittent.

I loaded the Mamiya 6 with a "test" roll of Delta 100 last night, and can I say this was the easiest MF camera I have loaded yet! I fired off all 12 shots this morning using Sunny16. We shall see what I get or don't get, and how good I was with Sunny16 or not, as this would be my first time using Sunny16 :). I would like to get a light meter, like the Voiglander VCII but oh the price! And frankly, S16 is so much easier to think about.

Sunny 16 is alright but can get quirky in the shadows (e.g. in the woods); having a lightmeter available is always helpful, but it's usually the case today: Use an app on your smartphone! That's more or less free of charge..

The Voigtländer looks very nice, but it's a really limited device; a dedicated lightmeter should a least offer incident light metering as well, and flash metering is an additional benefit not to be sneezed at. Smartphones are good enough at ambient light metering, though, even though their wide-angle lenses mean it's not the most accurate reading you get.

Gossen and Sekonic offer great pocket meters you can also mount on your camera. I love my Sekonic L-308S (the older one, not the newest and "greatest" version) and wouldn't hesitate to use any of the less expensive Sekonic meters as my main device (the L-208 is mountable ...). For a mountable meter, the Gossen Digisix 2 or Digiflash 2 (the latter offers - well, you will have guessed it alreadyy) are great choices as well, but a little more expensive IIRC.

But crucially, there are lots and lots of used meters to be had - many of them fantastic performers for marginal prices. I love my old Gossen Sixtino I got for less than $10: small, sturdy, reasonably accurate (it can even be calibrated!), and it meters incident and ambient light. Works very well ...

M.

Sunny 16 is alright but can get quirky in the shadows (e.g. in the woods); having a lightmeter available is always helpful, but it's usually the case today: Use an app on your smartphone! That's more or less free of charge..

The Voigtländer looks very nice, but it's a really limited device; a dedicated lightmeter should a least offer incident light metering as well, and flash metering is an additional benefit not to be sneezed at. Smartphones are good enough at ambient light metering, though, even though their wide-angle lenses mean it's not the most accurate reading you get.

Gossen and Sekonic offer great pocket meters you can also mount on your camera. I love my Sekonic L-308S (the older one, not the newest and "greatest" version) and wouldn't hesitate to use any of the less expensive Sekonic meters as my main device (the L-208 is mountable ...). For a mountable meter, the Gossen Digisix 2 or Digiflash 2 (the latter offers - well, you will have guessed it alreadyy) are great choices as well, but a little more expensive IIRC.

But crucially, there are lots and lots of used meters to be had - many of them fantastic performers for marginal prices. I love my old Gossen Sixtino I got for less than $10: small, sturdy, reasonably accurate (it can even be calibrated!), and it meters incident and ambient light. Works very well ...

M.

Thanks for the suggestions Matt, I'll have a look them. I have used my phone in the past, but wasn't very happy with the apps I was using. I would like a mountable meter, as well has a hand held, I will have a look at the Sekonic L-308S.

Thanks for the suggestions Matt, I'll have a look them. I have used my phone in the past, but wasn't very happy with the apps I was using. I would like a mountable meter, as well has a hand held, I will have a look at the Sekonic L-308S.
The Sekonic L-308S *isn't* mountable, but its smaller sibling, the L-208, is. But the L-308s is a lot more versatile. The Digiflash 2 would be the most sophisticated mountable solution (equalling or surpassing the feature set of the L-308S). But I guess it's considerably more expensive ...

M.

The Sekonic L-308S *isn't* mountable, but its smaller sibling, the L-208, is. But the L-308s is a lot more versatile. The Digiflash 2 would be the most sophisticated mountable solution (equalling or surpassing the feature set of the L-308S). But I guess it's considerably more expensive ...

M.

Yes, I would like the Digiflash2, it seems it will be the best for me.

I might pick up a $25 1960's Kalimar meter tht is still working and make do with it until I decide to buy a new meter, here is Canada they are horrendously expensive!!!

Not fully sure, but I think I bought a Fujifilm GF670W. Testing it, let’s see :)

I've decided not to keep the GF670W. What I really want is a Mamiya 6, but it has been pretty tough to find (also related with a well know portuguese singer recently mentioning on an interview that this is his favourite camera...). I purchased a Bronica ETRSi to have something more automatic for the holidays, but haven't given up on the Mamiya 6.

I've decided not to keep the GF670W. What I really want is a Mamiya 6, but it has been pretty tough to find (also related with a well know portuguese singer recently mentioning on an interview that this is his favourite camera...). I purchased a Bronica ETRSi to have something more automatic for the holidays, but haven't given up on the Mamiya 6.

It's incredibly expensive! I just looked at it again. Wow!

While fully manual the ETRSi is a great camera to use. I have it with a grip and an eye level viewfinder. I am glad I go to the gym every day and lift weights.
This is as portable as the original Compaq portable computer.
The pictures are simply superb.

While fully manual the ETRSi is a great camera to use. I have it with a grip and an eye level viewfinder. I am glad I go to the gym every day and lift weights.
This is as portable as the original Compaq portable computer.
The pictures are simply superb.

This is my exact setup, but waiting for an AE II prism to be delivered next week in the same shop. I was not very keen on the grip, but might help making the camera look more “standard”. I’m tired of the amount of attention my other cameras get. Even yesterday I was out with my family and the Autocord and all of a sudden a tourist gide was talking to me, on her speaker, about my camera... I know people don’t have bad intentions with this, but i did start to try not to show my cameras so much.

This is my exact setup, but waiting for an AE II prism to be delivered next week in the same shop. I was not very keen on the grip, but might help making the camera look more “standard”. I’m tired of the amount of attention my other cameras get. Even yesterday I was out with my family and the Autocord and all of a sudden a tourist gide was talking to me, on her speaker, about my camera... I know people don’t have bad intentions with this, but i did start to try not to show my cameras so much.

I know what you mean, it can get really annoying, and doesn't help for "anonymous" street photography!

I just ordered 3 rolls of XP2 in 120 and 2 rolls of Provia F in 120. I am interested in the XP2 because of the C41 processing abilities, as I have not been happy with BW developing at the various labs I have been using. I see why people keep encouraging me to process my own BW film. If I could only find a lab that really cared about what they do in terms of processing, but most of them care only about printing these days (not surprising).

Back