Film What developer do you use

jai

Regular
I started out using D76, as recommended by this guide:

http://theartofphotography.tv/episo...ate-guide-to-developing-black-and-white-film/

I then started using D76 diluted 1:1 which I liked a bit better. I think its easier to control the more dilute solutions, and my shots looked really good.

Just now trying XTOL, again diluted 1:1. My first roll was a bit overdeveloped, I think this may be a common problem with XTOL. The grain was super fine, my shots just weren't as sharp as before. Need more practice obviously.

What do other people here use?

I mainly use D-76 as well, and prefer to dilute it 1:1 as well. For rolls of ilford 3200 I prefer Kodak's TMAX developer as stock D-76 is suppose to be used. I've developed ilford's 3200 with stock D-76 and prefer the grain when using the TMAX instead, particularly if the the 3200 has been pulled.

Xtol usually gives full emulsion speed of any film. I often rate a little lower for other developers but find I do not have to for Xtol. D-76 1:1 is a nice developer. Used with Plus-X of happy memory it produced exquisite results. I wish someone would get the recipe/license for Plus-X and bring it back. I've recently become a big fan of Xtol.

For most large format and a good deal of medium format, I still use HC110 diluted 1:7 or 1:15 from mixed stock solution. Measuring the syrup with a syringe and diluting the hell out of it never appealed to me, though you should be able to get the same dilutions using either method. I like the edge sharpness from HC110 in larger formats. I find it excessively grainy on 35mm.

In a pinch, I use whatever I can find locally, which isn't much anymore. Ilfosol 3 is nice enough, but it won't be what I get when I put in my B&H order.

Everyone will have his own preference. Ansel Adams once referred to photographers' "holy water" complex about their favorite developers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into a habit of overexposing most of my shots to get the best quality with D76, but as you say I think it's best probably not a good idea when using xtol.

I use D-76 and Rodinal. D-76 is my tried and true performer which I use on the important stuff. I really like Rodinal for it's ease of use (and it's cheap!) but I'm still learning it's many quirks. I use it at 1+50. I tried an hour stand develop with Rodinal and wasn't impressed, but it could very well have been user error.

I was wondering when somebody would say Rodinal.

I am curious to try it, sounds really convenient in terms of the dilution. Don't know where I'd get it though? I'm in Australia and I'm guessing it can't be shipped internationally.

I tend to like finer grain, so I think its probably better to stick with XTOL/D76 for that anyway.

Another Rodinal afficionado, but mostly for the gritty, moody or experimental stuff (1+50 most of the time). Back in the day I started out with Ilford materials, HP5, FP4, mostly in Microphen and Perceptol but never really got the look that I wanted. That changed when I moved over to Tri-X and D-76; more probably due to some 'accidental' mistakes I made when I moved away from the standard prescriptions.

I was wondering when somebody would say Rodinal.

I am curious to try it, sounds really convenient in terms of the dilution. Don't know where I'd get it though? I'm in Australia and I'm guessing it can't be shipped internationally.

I tend to like finer grain, so I think its probably better to stick with XTOL/D76 for that anyway.
You could try your luck on German eBay. I've bought my Rodinal from there a couple times; the real stuff, expired long ago but in case of Rodinal that doesn't matter at all plus a little bottle can go a looong way. Some folks ship worldwide at self cost and those little bottles can easily be shipped in a padded envelope. What could you lose?

Right now I'm using Diafine. Basically lasts forever. It's really easy to use and has practical value for scanning negatives since.

I use Rodinal exclusively. It was the first developer I ever tried. I experimented with Caffenol for a while (when I ran out of Rodinal), then I went back to Rodinal. I almost always do a semi-stand of one hour to one hour and a half at 1+100 dilution. Simple and inexpensive and does the job well in my opinion.

Back