What compact digital camera do you have that has a focusing ring on the lens barrel?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
By compact camera, I mean a camera with a fixed, non-interchangeable lens.

Also, any comment you would care to make about how well the manual focusing ring works would be appreciated.

Herman,

I have heard that the Sony RX100 has a manual focus ring, but I don't know how well it works. The Fuji X100 has one, but I don't recall any reviewer saying anything nice about it.

My FZ150 has a lever on the lens barrel that can be configured to control manual focus, and it works okay, although it is a bit easy to go past the point of perfect focus. My G12 has manual focus, but requires using the control ring on the back of the camera, which surrounds the 4-way controller. As a result, it is really easy to activate other functions while trying to focus manually. It's pretty much world-class annoying.

The X100 has one, but I rarely use it. Initially, the amount you needed to turn it to move the focal point was ridiculous and made it completely unusable. After a firmware update, you don;t need to turn it quite as much, but it's still not a very satisfying experience. I mainly use it to fine tune focus. When I'm "in the mood" to go completely manual, I use vintage glass and an old m43 body I have, because the X100 doesn't really scratch that itch,.

The RX100 has a multi-function front ring that defaults to controlling focus when the camera is in manual focus mode. It works pretty well, but not much better than other ways of controlling focus on other compacts, since its all by-wire anyway. The new RX-1 definitely has a focus ring on it, as the already mentioned X100. Not sure about any others...

Or you could get one of the small m43 cameras and the new (not quite yet available) 17mm lens, which is the same effective focal length as the RX1 and X100 and has a snap focus ring that allows for focussing as on an old manual style lens. Its not a fixed lens camera, but you could certainly use it that way....

-Ray

The Canon S-95, S-100 and S-110 all have the multi-function ring around the lens barrel that can be set for manual focus. I don't have any of these models, but it sounds like what you're looking for. It's also extremely compact.

Back