What books are you reading for pleasure these days?

Currently on my nightstand:

"What Jazz Is: An Insider's Guide to Understanding and Listening to Jazz", by Jonny King
"The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time", by David L. Ulin

Sounds like two good ones. I guess more samples are headed to my Kindle. Will it be ironic to read the second one on a Kindle?

The Bible every day
Rereading the War of Art.
Currently avidly reading Band of Brothers -- own the HBO series (seen over and over again), but first time actually reading the book. It's a better read than the TV series!

I say Avidly because at any given moment, I'm "reading" probably 20 books. I am a serial book starter. It got so bad, I could barely get to my bed, there were so many piles of books around it. I got a Kindle, which has shrunk the piles AND I'm finishing more books on the Kindle than I did in paper. Wasn't expecting that outcome. (I travel a bit, so I have a whole library with me now).

I may go through the (book) series! I loved the video series, then I was with the kids in Barnes and Noble. They were shopping kids books, and i saw "Shifty's War" -- Shifty Powers view of Easy Company. So, I got that on the Kindle. It's an OK book, but that got me thinking about the actual BoB book. So, I downloaded that. I've already got my eye on Winter's book, but I found out there's a whole cottage industry of Easy Company books. Winters intrigues me, so I might get his book, but I'll likely stop there. If you get it first, let us know what you think of it!

I made a concious decision to give up fiction about 15 years ago now as I have so much to read and so little time,...however, I was given the Stieg Larsson trilogy at Christmas and read them over the 4 days,..which helped to push the yuletide boredom to one side!!

The previous Christmas I was given Haruki Murakami's 'Dance Dance Dance' and really enjoyed both the mystery and the culture clash.....so can recommend it for thoughtful readers.

Amonst my current 'stack' i'm reading 'Nature's Engaver', a life of Thomas Bewick by Jenny Uglow. This book is a real joy for anyone interested in either/or English social history of the early 19th century, or the making of fine images for reproduction as Bewick was the first master book illustrator to use fine wood engraving.

Also just re-read 'Successful Photography' first published 1954 by Andreas Feininger (25 years with 'Life')...not only a great photgrapher but a superb photo-educator and author,.......like; 'buying cameras depends on the "three P's"......the photogs 'personality', 'purpose' and 'pocket'. Many other photo truths too!

Do you use an electronic device to read your books?

I read the Larsson trilogy in a flash, too - real page turners and they were what brought me back around to fiction and mysteries. Thanks for your input, Bugleone!

I can't remember if anyone here has mentioned whether or not they use an "e-reader" or not? Kindle, iPad...Nook? I have always said - "Not me!" but lately as I try to pare down my belongings, I have started to think more about the idea of an e-reader. I believe I just read that now the Kindles will be able to use library's e-books, and that the iPad has a nice Kindle application...

Every year I tend to re-read my entire collection of Simenon's Maigret series in English. I am on the last volume now, a Penguin anthology of his shorter stories. In another location (bed) I am re-reading Weston's daybooks. I suppose it is a reflection of one's age when all one does is to read things again.

Now that's a great suggestion, Xuereb..well both are, actually. I've never read the Maigret series, though I thoroughly enjoyed the Masterpiece Theatre BBC series we had here in the states. Edward Weston's photographs, well they are truly artwork. Here's a pdf link to jog some memories: http://image.eastmanhouse.org/files/GEH_1962_11_01.pdf

It's good to reread books. A few years ago I was reading as much Dickens as I could and really enjoyed my time with him very much. Last year was a Jane Austen year for me.

I can't remember if anyone here has mentioned whether or not they use an "e-reader" or not? Kindle, iPad...Nook? I have always said - "Not me!" but lately as I try to pare down my belongings, I have started to think more about the idea of an e-reader. I believe I just read that now the Kindles will be able to use library's e-books, and that the iPad has a nice Kindle application...

I was just like you and swore I'd never get one. My house is full of books, overflowing all the shelves. Last year I was heading to China for 3 weeks and didn't want to take an entire bag of books, so I broke down and bought a kindle. I've not bought a paper book since then. I also have an iPad that I use for work, depends on my mood whether I use the kindle or the ipad to read fiction, both are great for reading. But the kindle (or nook or whatever you prefer- they are much the same) is much better if you like to sit outdoors and read. Whereas the iPad is great for work reading, where I have lots of PDFs, images, graphs and figures. The kindle stinks for that. But its great for simple prose.

Michael

I was thinking about getting ahold of this book, too. I loved his Prince of Tides - it was a million times better than the movie version. How do you like it, Andrew?

Wylie,

Once in awhile, I like to pick up a book about books, that is to say, the author describing his or her notions of reading and/or writing. The same goes with other disciplines: Paul Klee wrote a great little treatise on modern art and artists (his generation), and Nathan Lyons edited a comprehensive collection of photographers on photography (book of the same title).

My Reading Life says it all on the cover; it's Conroy's memoir of reading and the people and literature that influenced his developing life habits, and later writing craft. It's written chronologically in the first person, and showcases his lyrical -- and ultimately, enviable -- command of the English language; one of a master storyteller. In regards to American literature, I've become quite partial to the Southern practitioners of the art. I'm not quite halfway through; it's taking longer than I usually read, as I'm savoring the flow of individual words. Embarrassingly, I only read South on Broad by the author. After this, I intend to pick up a few of the other novels, to round out my experience with him.

Joel Kotkin, The City: A Global History inspired by Andrew Marr's recent BBC series on mega-cities. Tbilisi doesn't make it as a mega-city but there's always the next move.

Towards the middle end of August, we're heading down to one of my favorite spots on the eastern seaboard of the USA - The Outer Banks of NC. Last year we spent a week there in late September and it rained every day - plus I could barely walk due to injuring my ankle - poor me. Anyhow, we're going earlier with more friends plus offspring and I can't wait!

For beach reading, I've decided to bring along "The Wreckage" by Michael Robotham. Here's a review:A Thriller of Iraq and the Financial Crisis (Published 2011) if anyone is interested. The book is a "thriller" about Iraq and The Financial Crisis (my caps). I'll probably read at least one other book while down there between swims.

I find it is difficult to read weighty books that require a lot of intellectual effort while intermittently gazing at the ocean and generally relaxing in the summer.:)

Back