West highland line

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
Tomorrow I shall be traveling from Glasgow to Fort William on the west highland line. The weather forcast is not looking good,but hey, you never know.
It's a Scotrail special. If you are over 55 you can get a return ticket to any station in scotland for £19 ! Bargain.
I would have liked to go right up to Mallaig but sadly its only a short weekend and back Sunday afternoon.
As far as kit photographic goes, I shall be taking my V1 + 10mm + spare battery + ir remote + ultrapod2.
I'm pretty sure its all i'll need.
So rain (almost a certainty) or shine (perhaps not) I am hoping to get at least one shot i like.
So driving to Glasgow tonight to catch the first train in the morning. See you later.:)

I didn't get to spend much time in mallaig in 2008 when a friend and myself rented a car in Glasgow and drove as far north as we could to the isle of Skye. The trip was amazing, and I rarely get to share the photos with anyone, but there is a set here: Scotland 2008

Looking forward to seeing your photos from the weekend trip on the west highland line!

Just now waiting at Fort William for the return train. I've been in love with Scotland for a long time and am fully aware I would need at least a year off and a decent camper van to really get the shots I would be happy with. This was not a trip for photo purposes . It was purely for the train journey. I have got a few that I will post when I get back to Carlisle .

Disappointed with the results from the weekend. But i did expect it. Shooting beautiful scenery through train windows was never going to yield images worth keeping. Slightly happy with a couple though.
This one from the return trip just south of Corrour summit (1350 ft)

10389199185_14df3eaef7_b.jpg

_DSC3207 by sucofni, on Flickr

And Saturday evening looking up Loch Linnhe from Fort William.

10389196634_954f48c594_b.jpg

_DSC3124 by sucofni, on Flickr

Looks great!
My husband taught for a term this Spring at Canterbury Christ Church College and I was lucky enough to stay with him in January and February. Our favorite show was Michael Portillo's Great British Rail Journeys and when Steve had 2 weeks to himself at the end of the term, he got a pass and travelled by rail, not so far as Scotland but almost! He usually travels in March (He coordinates the study abroad program for a consortium of community colleges with CCC, and goes over on Spring Break every year to touch base with his counterparts.) and of course "everything" opens in April - some year I dearly hope to get there in the tourist season when we can take the bus along Hadrian's Wall!

Oh these are both really nice.

How was the train journey?

Great. Even at the regular price I think it is worth the money. If I was to do it again I would reserve a seat though. Window seat with table facing forward. On the left northbound and the left southbound . That way you get the best view of everything. We were lucky with the weather too, there is always the chance of zero visibility for the entire journey. Winter would be a good time too. The next time I will get off at The Bridge of Orchy or Rannock and spend two days on the west highland way. It's frustrating riding past all the lovely vistas and not being able to stop !

Oh and take a couple of Sigma Merrill's. The light is great but you really need to be able to record all of it. Given more time I could have squeezed more out of the lovely little V1. No complaints about the Nikon. It did as well as expected.

Back