Went to have a look yesterday at some real estate property for sale (pic heavy).

We have horses to keep the grass down in the paddocks, but we get the slasher in from time to time, to keep the grass/undergrowth controlled and reduce the fire risk. Our house yard is 2 acres and we keep that under control with the ride-on mower, although in summer it is a constant task. We've been thinking about sheep, but we would need to redo all our fencing (currently three strand plain or barbed wire) to keep the sheep in (and safe from wandering dogs). Sheep do an excellent job on grass though, much neater than cattle for around the house.

Someone I know who has experience with rural properties said that cattle are better than sheep because the sheep allegedly won't eat the grass right up to the fences, whereas cows do. Yeah there's always that bushfire risk, the recent bushfires in Victoria were particularly bad.

I really need "Living on a Rural Property For Dummies" book with tips like these.

James - congratulations!!!! I know it was a huge decision but I'm sure you and yours will truly enjoy your time there as it unfolds.:drinks:

What are you plans and your timetable?

I can't believe I missed this thread back in August...but I've missed sooo many because we bought a place in the country and have been clearing some of the land, view way, and working on the old house... Forgive me for being so out of the loop!:redface:

I'm thrilled for you! How does Keesha like it?

Back