Well, KEH Came To My Local Brick n' Mortar Store...

Wish we had a KEH over here. We have very few options for selling. Its ebay (no thanks) or gumtree (getting more difficult as more scammers hit the market) or the local papers. I would love to be able to "backtrade" some of my stuff for other gear... but the local camera dealer (the only one left standing in the wake of department stores selling cameras... the other independents gave up and sold up) doesnt have a second hand dealer's licence and doesnt want one. Its a PITA.

Wish we had a KEH over here. We have very few options for selling. Its ebay (no thanks) or gumtree (getting more difficult as more scammers hit the market) or the local papers. I would love to be able to "backtrade" some of my stuff for other gear... but the local camera dealer (the only one left standing in the wake of department stores selling cameras... the other independents gave up and sold up) doesnt have a second hand dealer's licence and doesnt want one. Its a PITA.

How about trade-ins via Amazon.com? You can do that with certain cameras and lenses here in the U.S. They tell you how much they'll pay you depending on condition and the money you get goes to your Amazon.com account as a gift card. This is separate from selling your stuff via Amazon.

How about trade-ins via Amazon.com? You can do that with certain cameras and lenses here in the U.S. They tell you how much they'll pay you depending on condition and the money you get goes to your Amazon.com account as a gift card. This is separate from selling your stuff via Amazon.

I doubt they would accept stuff from Australia, and then theres the issue of getting it there, because Australia Post hates batteries and won't transport them. I suspect the shipping would end up costing more than the price they would pay. The local Amazon (dont know how local it really is) only sells books and kindles.

No big camera stores that will buy from you in Australia? B&H and Adorma do by used cameras here in the states.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that in Australia, we are over a barrel in so many ways. The dollar exchange rate never favours us, local dealers always put a huge premium on gear, and tradeins never ever give you what any item is worth. Its bad enough taking a hit via person to person sales (as with gumtree, for example) but dealers give even less. Its all about profit. You value your gear at a certain point but if the dealer doesn't, you're screwed. Also, we have a *much* smaller population, as well as having a smaller percentage than that who use cameras, and an even smaller percentage of those who ever want to have different cameras than the ones they first bought... so the market just isnt there. *All* the cameras I have sold have gone to first time buyers who don't want to spend full price on new. I have a friend who has never looked beyond her Olympus SP550uz, and Olympus DSLR both of which she bought around 2008, and she has never bought any more lenses than she got with the original deal (two kit lenses and two primes). People tend to be more like that, than like the rest of us who like to play with new gear.

I don't think a KEH would actually make any money out of a second hand dealership in Australia. The market just isnt here. So, people like me end up selling at ridiculously low prices, or hoarding in cupboards.

I don't think a KEH would actually make any money out of a second hand dealership in Australia. The market just isnt here. So, people like me end up selling at ridiculously low prices, or hoarding in cupboards.

Considering how expensive new stuff is there, I would think that a KEH-type entity would do very well!

I guess I am the only person who doesn't/didn't know what KEH is/was.:blush:

Sounds as though it worked out well for you!:friends:

I keep thinking about selling a couple of cameras that I really don't use...but I wonder really how much I could get for my Fuji X10, and probably the XF1....not sure I can give up my X100.

yeah but you got 13k posts almost... so well let this slide... THIS time... *raises eyebrow*

hehehe

Back