Weekend Hangout Portraits

A few shots while hanging around this weekend.

A6000 and 28-70mm

Saturday we took a little hike. There is this little Apple tree along our path. The Apples don't grow more than a golf ball sized and are really bitter, but she just had to try.

_DSC4750.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Further along she had to stop for a dance step or two. Forgive the blurriness, I just find it a fun moment.

_DSC4760.JPG

Sunday she looked great in this yellow dress, we had to take a few shots. Forgive the ratty hair, it was a long day.

I often have a hard time getting the exposure right with her dark skin. Either she is very dark, or the background is blown out. I should have popped the flash for some fill-in light, but we were in a bit of a hurry.

_DSC4764.JPG

Last edited:
The post processing has nailed it, you've adjusted her skin tone enough that you haven't lost the overhead shadow which is part of the composition. I appreciate the problems with getting the exposure right. My son has typical northern European skin colouring and his fiancee has dark skin so I have to try to get a happy medium to avoid overblown highlights.

This was a snapshop portrait, indoors with ceiling light, that I managed to get a reasonable compromise. Although I did have to spot adjust a bright highlight on his forehead. I hope I'm not highjacking your post.

2c9ad8aa7a0ddc958c6bef844149b57c.jpg

The post processing has nailed it, you've adjusted her skin tone enough that you haven't lost the overhead shadow which is part of the composition. I appreciate the problems with getting the exposure right. My son has typical northern European skin colouring and his fiancee has dark skin so I have to try to get a happy medium to avoid overblown highlights.

This was a snapshop portrait, indoors with ceiling light, that I managed to get a reasonable compromise. Although I did have to spot adjust a bright highlight on his forehead. I hope I'm not highjacking your post.

2c9ad8aa7a0ddc958c6bef844149b57c.jpg

Thanks for sharing. It can be a bit tricky, but I just need to slow it down for portraits.

Back