Watch this

Seems that there is a lot of focus on photographers at moment

Helmut Newton last week or so / Nan Goldin on radio 4 yesterday / David Hemmings Blow Up / David Bailey interviews etc etc - all good

I use Tunnel Bear. Costs about $50/year but I gave up on the free VPNs in the end. Eventually they all end up with overloaded servers if they're any good. I do watch a lot of UK TV so for me its worth it. TB is also encrypted with limited data retention so it's good for privacy concerns too.

I can't emphasise enough how much I think this is worth seeking out.

It is one of a series of documentary films, quite literally about "what artists do all day". Each artist talks about, and is illustrated doing, what they do, how they do it, why they do it, who they work with, why they bother ... and so on.

Art gets talked about a lot, all too often in dismissive terms by otherwise intelligent people, but also all too often in rather abstruse terms which can make art seem opaque to all but "experts"; rarely does one get the opportunity to hear the artists themselves speak, and even more rarely at this length.

The series does not simply focus on painting or sculpture. In some of the other episodes, practitioners of slightly more esoteric forms are focused upon.

I found Gormley's reflections particularly moving (for want of a better word), especially the words he used to close the episode:

We are here for such a short time ... and in the interests of making a true testimony to what it feels like to be alive now at the beginning of the 21st century, I am trying to make a true account

I can't emphasise enough how much I think this is worth seeking out.

It is one of a series of documentary films, quite literally about "what artists do all day". Each artist talks about, and is illustrated doing, what they do, how they do it, why they do it, who they work with, why they bother ... and so on.

Art gets talked about a lot, all too often in dismissive terms by otherwise intelligent people, but also all too often in rather abstruse terms which can make art seem opaque to all but "experts"; rarely does one get the opportunity to hear the artists themselves speak, and even more rarely at this length.

The series does not simply focus on painting or sculpture. In some of the other episodes, practitioners of slightly more esoteric forms are focused upon.

I found Gormley's reflections particularly moving (for want of a better word), especially the words he used to close the episode:
We are here for such a short time ... and in the interests of making a true testimony to what it feels like to be alive now at the beginning of the 21st century, I am trying to make a true account

Yes, I agree - I watched this and it was good to be able to hear the artist talking, rather than having to endure the (usually vacuous) opinions of a (usually pea-brained) self-satisfied "expert" broadcaster. (I hope I didn't sound too jaded about current standards in broadcasting, there...;))

I use Tunnel Bear. Costs about $50/year but I gave up on the free VPNs in the end. Eventually they all end up with overloaded servers if they're any good. I do watch a lot of UK TV so for me its worth it. TB is also encrypted with limited data retention so it's good for privacy concerns too.

I keep forgetting Tunnelbear. I have the free version which doesnt have enough data to see the vid, but $50 a year is a good deal. I must reconsider.

Back