Video: Kodak 3200 vs Ilford 3200

Discussion in 'Film Cameras' started by phigmov, Apr 12, 2018.

1. phigmov

phigmov Veteran

Mar 23, 2015
    Quite enjoyed this - two high-speed B&W films compared.

I've never had much luck with high-speed film but I'm tempted to give it another crack in the right circumstances. It looks like the Kodak is definitely grittier and the Ilford has a smoother look to it. The presenter did well in some of those handheld slow-shutter speed shots particularly when the meter only went up to 1600 and some compensation would have had to have been dialled in.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cerita

Cerita Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    Very interesting video, thank you for sharing it, and I have subscribed. For me it's nice to see a female film photographer in Canada :). I watched the video twice and I think I prefer the Tmax 3200, it's seems to much more punchier with great contrast and range the the Ilford 3200.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've never used a film faster than ASA 400, but if I had to choose between these two, I'd take the Tmax. The Ilford just looks a little bland to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. phigmov

phigmov Veteran

Mar 23, 2015
    Yes, it looks like it picks up the high-lights & shadow detail better (maybe more dynamic range?) - I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better for low-light shots of people / portraits ? Otherwise the gritty feel of the T-Max seems to better suit contrasty/punchy low-light situations where subtlety isn't a requirement.