VERY VERY Upset :(

I dropped my GRDIII just a short time ago. It dropped onto carpet, but the battery cover was open because I was taking out the SD card, and it fell to the carpet and the battery fell out, dislodging the little yellow thingy that holds it in place. I've tried and tried to put it back in place and I can't, and there must be some relationship between the yellow thingy and whether it works or not because it wont start up without it. OR, even worse, I have broken a lot more.

I thought it would be tougher than that :( only about a 2 ft drop onto carpet.. should not have damaged it so much.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

[end rant]

Oh yeah and because my fine motor control is just rubbish, I've now dropped the little yellow thingy for the umpteenth time, and I CAN'T FIND IT!!! Its somewhere on the floor but it is not visible to me, at all. I give up. I'm seriously upset about this.

I'll look into the house insurance, Kerri, but I didnt have it as a separate special thing so not sure. They will probably not go for it, and I know this isnt covered by warranty. Going to try fixing it first... if I can find the thingy.

[edit] I think God is punishing me for going and looking at cameras this morning

[edit #2] And having recognised that, he's letting it start up again (thank you, God!)

Oh my! What a relief. Thank heavens, and OMG I will be more careful in the future. Going to have to be careful with the battery now theres nothing holding it in except the battery door.

WHEW!!!!

Sue, the yellow thingy is a lock that holds the battery contacts tight in the camera.
Maybe try to make a wedge from tape or a paper towel or something. Then close the battery door and the wedge should make pressure to hold the contacts tight.
I hope that works.

Sue, the yellow thingy is a lock that holds the battery contacts tight in the camera.
Maybe try to make a wedge from tape or a paper towel or something. Then close the battery door and the wedge should make pressure to hold the contacts tight.
I hope that works.

Thanks, Don. Seems the battery door is actually sufficient. Its working fine now. But if it stops, I'll put a wedge of paper in, for sure, or maybe stick a small piece of thin dymo tape on that end (it seems that the battery door needs to make contact with an area on the right end of the battery as well.)

One thing I've noticed with the Ricohs that I have owned is that as long as the battery contacts are touching they'll still operate. There are no switches in the battery compartment that prevent operation of the camera if the door is open or the battery is not clicked fully into place. Good job it's still firing.

Really glad for you that it still works. I had a similar thing happen to my old Canon Ixus and it has been functioning quite happily for years with a bit of black insulating tape on the battery cover ever since :)

Back