Various and Sundry "Macro" Shots with X-10

Larry, so glad I did not spring for the X-20; while I probably would have liked the OVF readouts, the additional cost vs. the used X-10 I got would not be justified. I also would not have the dynamic range provided by the X-10 sensor. What is your main camera now?

Larry, so glad I did not spring for the X-20; while I probably would have liked the OVF readouts, the additional cost vs. the used X-10 I got would not be justified. I also would not have the dynamic range provided by the X-10 sensor. What is your main camera now?

Ed:
I've still got my E-M5 for my system camera. I love it, and I know it will do just about anything I need it to do, but it is just a bit too bulky to take everywhere, even with one of the small lenses, and I'd go out with the honking big (and lovely!) Panasonic/Leica 25mm f.14 I love that lens, along with the Oly. 45.

My carry with me camera is a DP2 Merrill, which I love, despite the limitations. For daylight shooting with a slightly wide "normal" lens (45mm EFL) it's just about perfect for me.

The things in the "to buy" queue are a couple of primes more for the E-M5 and a wide angle fixed lens camera. Now that the Leica X1's have come down in price used, I think I'd like to give one a test drive. I always liked the idea of them, and tests I saw convinced me the lens is sharper across the frame than the one in the X100 -- a camera that I loved, however, with a very good lens.

As for the X20: I liked it, and loved the viewfinder, but if I go back to one of those models (and I'm tempted) it would be the X10. I found the jpegs of the X20 pretty awful, though in raw it probably did hold a slight edge over the X10. But you can't shoot raw in some of its most useful modes (like pro low light), so X10 it is -- at least for me.

Thanks, Larry. You and I have ended up with the same system camera since I let go of my X-Pro1. The E-M5 is my go to for sports, events or nature, the X-10 is my take anywhere, but the Leica Digilux 2 could be its daytime replacement when absolute discretion is not the order of the day. E-PL3 and 15mm Bodycap still my preferred street shooter.

Back