Fuji Using off camera flash with the Fuji X100/s

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
The X100/s (as well as the entire Fuji lineup) can shoot with on-board flash till 1/4000th of a second, which is great for shooting wide open in the mid-day sun, leaving the background dark while having your subject lit with a speedlight.

Does anyone have any advice on using off camera radio triggers (or IR triggers for that matter) which will allow an off-camera flash unit to be used with fast shutter speeds?

. What are decent radio triggers that work well with the Fuji line-up?

. How fast can one shoot?

As an example, I tried shooting the Ricoh GR with a single Elinchrom D-Lite 4 (studio light on a battery pack) in the mid-day sun, at 1/1000th of second (that's the fastest I could go with the GR and that particular light). Here's the image (right click and open in new tab to see large) -

5rnGC3w.jpg

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Interesting topic, looking forward to reading the responses. :)

Cool shot with the GR, Rajiv. How are you triggering the DX4? With the GR's flash, hotshoe cable, or wireless trigger?

Kyle, I was using the built-in radio trigger in the Elinchrom. One can fire it optically with the GR's built-in flash as well, but the light was behind me.

i need one too, or studio strobe, or whatever... something to take advantage of leaf shuttergoodness... bumpity!

The Off Camera Fun starts at f2 with 1/1000s Maximum sync Speed.
(the larger the aperture is, the "slower the sync Speed is- it last longer to open at wide open then lets say at f8..)

My personal Approach: having a Canon System and the 600RTs I am able to Trigger them with the Yongnuo- clon of the ST E3 RT, the YN E3 RT.
(the Canon original refuses to Trigger when sitting on a non Canon- body- pffff!!!)

I know this is a bit old but I've had good success and 1/1000 shutter speed with the cheap Cowboystudio radio triggers. Seem to work fine on the x100. I also used the neewer tt560 flash both on and off camera with good success. It also will sync to 1/1000 ss.

Back